Wednesday, February 6, 2019

T5W: Nostalgic Ships

Okay, this will be either really good or really bad. I very rarely even think about shipping when I am reading. I need to actually see the more subtle gestures and interaction between characters. So, aside from one, my book choices this week were all manga (and LGBT, I'm yaoi trash). Let's get on with the show~


1. Inuyasha by Rumiko Takahashi - I have two ships from this series. The first, my first ship ever, is Inuyasha x Miroku. I've always appreciated the dramatic irony of Miroku being gay. Part of his character was that he had to sire a child before his hand killed him, so he would hit on every female he saw. I thought, what if he was just trying to get this out of the way so he could be with a man? The other ship I have is Kagome x Sesshomaru. He always hated his father for taking a human partner and fathering his brother. Now he is falling for a human woman and can better understand Inutaisho. Plus, she's not afraid to yell at him. 

2. Fruits Basket by Natsuki Takaya - Hate me later, but my biggest ship from this was a tie between Yuki/Kyo, and Yuki/Kyo/Tohru. Yuki was ambivalent bordering apathetic for most of the series, because of reasons I won't get into here (spoilers), and Kyo was the opposite for similar reasons. Their "love" for each other and for Tohru helps spur them both into being better people. I know part of the ship is canon, and that makes me happy. 

3. My Hero Academia by Kohei Horikoshi - Oh all the ships one can ship! Bakugo x Izuku, Todoroki x Izuku, Todoroki x Bakugo, Bakugo x Kirishima, Kirishima x Kaminari...then you have All Might x Inko, Aizawa x Present Mic, Aizawa x Midnight, Aizawa x All Might....I love one for different reasons. Anyone with Bakugo would balance against his explosive personality. Izuku would help him be more understanding and compassionate. Todoroki would help him learn composure and to think before he acts. Kirishima or Kaminari would help him relax and have fun, an alien concept for sure. All Might just needs some love regardless of the source. Aizawa as well!

4. Leo Loves Aries by Anyta Sunday - Yeah, my one non-manga choice, still gay though! Theo and Jamie were adorable. It is the pairing I had hoped for the second they introduced Jamie. He was someone Theo was familiar with from the start. I'm positive he had no clue that he was flirting with Jamie the entire time. So many things he said were painfully clear to everyone. I was so happy when they finally got together!

5. Attack on Titan by Hajime Isayama - I don't remember what sparked my interest in this, by I've been reading the manga series. My top ships are Eren x Levi (Eren was 18 when they met! Joined the military at 15 and had to train for 3 years, making an Eren/Levi pairing weird, but perfectly legal by most standards), Eren x Jean because they are an odd couple, Eren x Armin because best friend slow burns are great, Armin x Jean because Armin brings out the best in pretty much everybody, and Jean x Marco because they are a cute pairing. I feel bad about Marco though. 


BONUS CONTENT


I couldn't settle on only 5 things I have ships from. So here are 3 more I thought of....


1. Yu-Gi-Oh by Kazuki Takahashi - A manga series I only own 5 volumes of (to put it in perspective, I used to own 32 volumes of Inuyasha) and I always picture Seto with either Yugi or Jonouchi/Joey because he can show them the level of power being a top duelist can bring and they can show him that it's not always about what you have, but the people you share it with. 

2. Seven Deadly Sins by Nakaba Suzuki - My favorite pairing from here is Ban and King because it's volatile and a study in contrasts. Ban is large, strong, and self-assured. King is small, relatively weak (without Chastiefol), and I think a bit emotionally stunted. They make for a wonderful odd couple. Especially with King repeatedly greeting Ban by spearing him through the chest. 

3. Ouran High School Host Club by Bisco Hatori - This one is likely to get me into the most trouble. Before now the worst I had were distant cousins, but now we are delving deep into no-no land. My favorite pairing from here is the infamous twincest that is Hikaru Hitachiin x Kaoru Hitachiin. They have a perfect chemistry. Probably because they practice it for shenanigans. They are far too in tune with each other. 



There we have my list for Nostalgic Ships. I know with the exception of a few, most are m/m. I can't help the way I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment