Sunday, February 5, 2017

Friday Reads: 01 January - 03 February 2017

Currently Reading

-  A Study in Charlotte by Brittany Cavallaro (10%)
- To Rise Again at a Decent Hour by Joshua Ferris (01%)
- Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden (03%)
- Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke (12%)
- The Clouded Sky by Megan Crewe (25%)
- The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield (14%)
- The Original Illustrated Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (09%)
- The Mime Order by Samantha Shannon (34%)
- The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas (71%)

* * *

I have been meaning to start this silly Friday Reads post for a very long time now. I would begin it and then never actually continue. So! To begin the actual first Friday Reads of the year, we will go over what was left from last year that I know of that I never actually finished. I have an actual physical paper reading journal and I will probably be taking a lot of the content of my Friday Reads from that. Be warned!!

This post will be the longest, mostly because I kept forgetting to do it all throughout January, so it will have all of January's comments in it. I just....forget a lot. I even had this set up to go up last week and blanked entirely on it. Oops. I hope you forgive me my folly.

I'm going to look for some highlights from Oct-Dec 2016, just in case there was something super important that I missed that ought to be shared. I did finish one of the more popular books of the year in October. Soundless by Richelle Mead and The Martian by Andy Weir. I don't remember what I thought of them. Oh well. 

I was also reading the Fallen series by Lauren Kate. I never did read the third one. I just couldn't. I hated Luce. She was such a stuck up girl. How could she be so dense? How?! No one I know has ever been so boy-stupid. I DNF'd Torment, then picked it up again because I did want to at least finish it, even if I didn't finish the series. I have nothing against the author. Only against Lucinda herself.

Not long after that, I discovered BookOutlet....and have already placed four orders. When I have the money again, I will be buying even more books. They have fantastic prices and shipping is reasonable. It does tend to take a bit to get here, but then they are shipping from Canada. I got rid of 150+ books, only to start buying them again by the box load. Oops? Oh well. I mean, I like reading!

Library finally opened to the public around September and I have been slowly starting to take more books out. I finished most of them, and did renew a few that I barely missed the deadline on. Hopefully I can start going again soon with my sister on Fridays. My library has such weird times. Usually 2-3 hours a day Monday through Friday. I should look into working there.

Finally got Room by Emma Donoghue from the library. Though the librarian actually asked me if they had it when I asked to put it on hold. I wouldn't have asked if they didn't! I had been holding it in my hand 3 days earlier, at the grand reopening of said library. Why would I have asked for something I knew they didn't have? 

It's taken me a while, but I've figured out that I want to read at least 5 books a month, reducing the goal from 100 for the year, to just 60. I know I can do it, but I don't want to push myself to a goal that I might not make. I might put 60 as my goal every year. Right now I'm only 1 book behind for the goal. I am nearly 75% of the way through one, so I will definitely be almost on track to get there shortly. I applaud the people who can read you know, 150+ (one person read nearly 400) books in a year. I definitely don't have the patience for that. I can barely read 2 in the same week.

So far for 2017, I've read 3/60 books! You can see the books I read in my upcoming January 2017 Wrap-Up. I don't think it would do to post them three or four times. I'll post what I'm currently reading for the week, then anything finished will go on the Wrap-Up.

Diversathon? No. I didn't know about it, as I didn't know, I didn't plan on participating. Read-alongs are not something I generally participate in to begin with. I'm not the kind of person who reads a certain number of books in X number of days (typically 5-7). I tried last year and didn't even finish one. I think this year, it was all of the hullabaloo over my grandmother and the beginning of her very long hospital stay that sort of just had me not paying much attention to things like I normally do. Typically, I'm all over the "a-thons" (haha love that title for these), but I've just been too busy to even notice. Maybe I'll try for the next one when I find out what it is.

Sorry this went up late, I wasn't home! See you next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment