Friday, June 30, 2017

Review: Dear Mr. M by Herman Koch

Once a celebrated writer, M had his greatest success with a suspense novel based on a real-life disappearance. It told the story of a history teacher who went missing one winter after having a brief affair with a beautiful student of his. The teacher was never found. Upon publication, M's novel was a runaway bestseller, one that marked his international breakthrough. That was years ago, and now M's career is fading. But not when it comes to his bizarre, seemingly timid neighbor who keeps a close eye on him and his wife. Why? From alternating points of view, where no one is to be trusted, Herman Koch weaves together an intricate tale of a writer in decline, a teenage couple in love, a missing teacher, and a single book that entwines all of their fates. Thanks to M's novel, supposedly a work of fiction, everyone seems to be linked forever, until something unexpected spins the "story" off its rails. - Goodreads.com

This was something. I didn't like it at all. Some parts of it were entirely irrelevant to the plot. We don't even really learn the meaning of the title until the last twenty pages. Not really something I would read again. Even now I'm not sure I will keep it.

This is my first Koch book and I am rather disappointed. I had been lead to believe this was some kind of really good mystery/thriller. Feels more like crap telly to me. A bad mystery movie you can guess the ending to way early in the story. 

I don't really know what to say about it now. M's actions were worse than Herman's. I will keep mum, to not spoil it, but really I didn't see it coming. I rated this book 2/5 stars and I am unlikely to read it again or suggest it to anybody. I received my copy from Blogging for Books in return for an honest review. 

No comments:

Post a Comment