Sunday, April 30, 2023

May 2023 Wrap-Up

I forgot to record half the books, so I'm just skipping February, March, and April. Let's see if I can keep this going properly in May!! 

As the month comes to an end, with not enough time to squeeze a last book in, I am happy to say i  completed, by various means, 7 books in May!!

1. Heart, Haunt, Havoc by Freydis Moon - I enjoyed the read. It was decent, though it could have been longer. A lot of this book was them dealing with the haunting and skirting their budding attraction to each other. I mean, other than Bishop and Colin hardly knowing each other...they could have spent more time getting to know each other. I'm hoping for a sequel addressing this. 

2. A Man Called Ove by Frederik Backman - It was definitely interesting. I could feel for Ove, suddenly having his world turned upside down. Yet, I don't think his way of responding was the best. I will certainly be looking into more books by Backman to see if my feelings remain the same. There were times where I was wondering just what it was about this grouchy old man who had rows with people over handwritten signs we as readers were meant to connect with. 

3. Sister, Maiden, Monster by Lucy A. Snyder - Not quite enough to make a 5-star, I want to know what happens. I loved how bizarre it was and how we weren't exactly given all the details until the very end. I did sort out at least part of the plot early, but I didn't see it fully. I loved the story of Erin, Savannah, and Mareva. This book was bonkers and I enjoyed learning it as it unfolded. I am definitely putting more of Lucy A. Snyder's books on my reading wishlist. 

4. Babel by R.F. Kuang - It was a wonderfully well written story about colonialism and the Unseen affect it has on those under the boot of their oppressors. I loved watching Robin and his cohort learning the truth of their situation, who could help, who couldn't and the ultimate betrayal they all felt. I'm looking forward to the other R.F. Kuang books I have yet to read. 

5. The Gilded Ones by Namina Forna - For a debut novel, this blew me away. As for the content? I'm pretty sure I should not have read it so quickly after watching The Woman King on Netflix, because all I could see for Karmoko Thandiwe was Viola Davis. It was well written and I enjoyed the way it was basically about equality for all and not just for the men. Women were always looked down on and thought of as lesser in the eyes of their great male deity. I am interested in picking up the next book in the series to see just how they deal with that inequality between the sexes.

6. A Circle of Stars by Craig Montgomery - I received this book as an ARC in exchange for a review, so there is a full review that you can see here, but just know that I loved the read and am excited to get to the next one. I wanna know what is going to happen between Casper and Helix. Especially now that Casper is getting better trained as Telos!!

7. Grandmaster of Demonic Cultivation #3 by Mo Xiang Tong Xiu - Is it strange to go into a novel having not read it, but still knowing the story? I've seen the Netflix adaptation (The Untamed) and I've seen the Mo Dao Zu Shi donghua on...Youtube I wanna say? I don't remember, so I already know the story and what is coming next. I loved the part of the story we got this time. I'll refrain from saying much of anything as it is volume three in a series (of five, so far that I know of). I still feel bad for Wei Wuxian, who just wanted to be loved and treated fairly and never really got that. Except for from one person who saw through all the nonsense that everyone else claimed. I love it. Perfect pairing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment