Monday, May 11, 2015

Review: Amber Smoke by Kristin Cast

This book is set to come out on June 9th, 2015 by Diversion Publishing. I received an eARC copy from NetGalley in return for an honest review.

There is a world that runs parallel to our own, a world in which the souls of the damned are caged, where they are looked over by the Furies, and where they spend eternity in torment, mirroring the devastation and mayhem they created when alive.

Someone has opened the cage.

The worst of terrors has crossed the barrier that separates our world from theirs, and the Furies send a great, albeit untested warrior—their only son, Alek—to try to bring those souls back. He is young and handsome, headstrong and impulsive, and he won’t be able to do it alone. 

Eva has grown up, beautiful and beloved, but surrounded by secrets. First, she will be hunted in an ancient feud that will threaten her life. Then, she will become the hunter.

Can I first just say holy crap? My friends and family all know I am obsessed with Greek culture, so when I saw this book pop up on BenjaminofTomes' BookTube channel...the first thing I did was run to NetGalley to request a copy. It was so worth it!

One of the three furies got them into the mess by falling in love with a damned soul. She wanted to know what it was like to be in love and to be with the humans of the Mortal Realm and because of her folly they had to seek the guidance of Hera. Hera gave them a child who would grow up to protect and save their world. He would just have to find the Oracle first. Without her, he won't be strong enough to defeat the evils that have escaped from Tartarus.

I absolutely loved the way this book was told. It only took me two days to read it because of how well written it was even with my time constraints. I flew right through it. Would probably have read it in just one day, but church and mother's day happened and I had to get ready for that while doing some household chores. Life got in the way of reading!

I was intrigued by how real the characters came off. Neither Alek or Eva were that super confident know-what-their-doing kind of lead. I loved how Alek never did figure out how to teleport correctly. It showed that even though he is a warrior for a different world, he has just as many flaws as we do. Ms. Cast definitely earned my respect there. I think she kept the characters human and flawed enough to make it worth rooting for them.

 I rated this book a 5/5 stars because I loved the premise and the way it was presented. I have already told friends that they have to read it when it comes out in June. I know I would buy a copy if I saw it in the stores.

No comments:

Post a Comment