Friday, January 1, 2016

My 15 Favorite Books of 2015

I had a great reading year, and I thought for the last thing I do for 2015, I would post the 15 books that I liked the most. The way I'm going to do it is the same way I do my monthly wrap-ups, only these will be the top books that I enjoyed. I will have a combination of 4 and 5 star books, because usually what causes me to give a book 4 stars is the writing style, not the story itself. I should probably also mention that these are not in specific order, beyond the order in which I thought of them.

With no further adieu, let us begin with the list of top books~


Book #1: Grave Beginnings by R.R. Virdi (5 Stars)

Thirteen...As far as numbers go, it isn't a great one. Hell, it's not even a good one and Vincent Graves is going to find out just how unlucky of a number it can be. Because someone, or something, is killing people in the Empire state, and whatever it is, it gives people everything they ever desired and more. And it's the more that's the problem! Well...it's one of the problems. Vincent's investigation also seems to have drawn the attention of a relentless FBI agent and then there's the little bit where he has only thirteen hours to solve the case, or he dies. Talk about your literal deadlines......No pressure. By the end of this case Vincent will come to understand the meaning of an age old proverb: Be careful what you wish for - because you just might get it!

I know Mr. Virdi (not personally) on Facebook in the NaNoWriMo group, and he kept talking about his book. I did one of those sampler things from Amazon and immediately spent the money, which I have a hard time coming up with in the first place, on the book. I loved the story and I am very excited to see what happens next in the life....um...unlife(?) of Vincent Graves.



Book #2: Taking 1960/The House Guest by Rosa Sophia (5 Stars)

An envelope addressed to Katherine Maslin stood out amongst the pile of bills. It is her notice from an attorney… the rights to her grandparents’ farmhouse and adjacent property. She believes that a change will rid her of the strange dreams she’s been having, wherein an oddly familiar woman visits her, begging for her help. But when Kat realizes that the woman in her dream is her dead grandmother, she begins to have doubts about moving to the farm. Rumors and nightmarish tales fill her mind, stories of the five men who lost their lives in the late 1950s to a heartless murderer. A man had been convicted, but was he the one the police had been looking for, or had he been framed? Kat is thrown backwards through time on a journey to discover a terrible truth. The ghost of her grandmother is always one step ahead of her, leading the way. But will she find the killer before he finds her?

When I first heard of this book, it was actually called Taking 1960 and the cover was actually of the spirit of a boy walking down a hall. By the time I actually managed to get to reading it, however, it had received a new name, cover and publisher. It's very well written and the idea alone that she used had me hooked from the beginning. I loved it so very much. I plan to read (and have read) more books by Ms. Rosa Sophia.


Book #3: A Siren for the Dead by Rosa Sophia (4 Stars)

Aldon never got anywhere on his good looks, at least not according to his late wife. At forty-two, his only companion is a cat named Tilly, and he’s turned to drinking in his off-hours to quiet the discontent in his head. As a city cop, he carries a heavy weight on his shoulders. Though he’s troubled by his own problems, he never lets them get in the way of helping people. Now he’s needed more than ever. When the daughter of a nobleman goes missing, Aldon is sent to an alien planet to retrieve her. But there’s one catch. The woman he seeks is unique. She is a siren, and she can raise the dead.

And here we have another Rosa Sophia book! I actually got this one to read as an ARC, kind of. She sort of just emailed me a copy of the manuscript. I kept starting it and then losing my place. I eventually went and paid what I think at the time was $3.99 for it and then I didn't lose my spot. Before the Kindle edition, I would not get past like page 47. Somehow, cats always end up in her books, too. It was a fantastic book that I would definitely recommend as I eagerly await the next book in the series. I've been gifted with little excerpts and I am so excited for my 2016 reading list.


Book #4: CHIMERA by Vaun Murprhey (5 Stars)

If you witnessed your parents killed at age five for reasons unknown only to endure eight years of isolation in captivity, what would you do with your life when you were suddenly rescued by family you never knew you had? What if you yourself were even more than you seemed? The universe can be both a terrible and wonderful place to live if you have the courage to explore it. Enter an alternate reality of civil war, secrets, murders and betrayals that transcends space and time with CHIMERA, Book One of the Weaver Series.

Let's see...I actually read this a while ago for NetGalley and I still haven't gotten 'round to reading the next book in the series. Though I've started it at least three separate times. Maybe in January? I have to admit that I didn't actually bother to read the blurb for the book. I just saw the picture and the word "chimera" and my mind jumped right to everything I read about it in Greek mythology. I am happy to say that I definitely was not disappointed by the book when I read it though. Despite not being what I thought it was going to be, it was still great!


Book #5: The Selection by Kiera Cass (4 Stars)

For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon. But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks. Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself—and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.

I really have no idea why I bought and read this in the first place. I blame the Booktubers for making it sound so irresistible. This is entirely outside of my normal genre that I read. I really dislike romance novels, especially the ones that are basically the story of Cinderella all over again. Which leads me to believe that I liked this just to spite myself? No idea. I did actually happen to like this though, and plan to read the rest of them when I get my hands on them.


Book #6: When I Dream of You by Rosa Sophia (5 Stars)

With plans to move to North Carolina, she hopes to separate herself from her mother, whose excessive drinking is becoming unbearable. Then suddenly, fate steps in to help her heal in a way she would never think possible. While running a race in Juno Beach, Nina finds herself next to a man whom she's immediately attracted to. Wes Ladner, the same man she dreamt about one year ago... Wes is focused on his writing, and has no time for a woman. But the night before they met, he dreamed of Nina. Although they come from two very different worlds neither of them can deny the sparks that fly between them. As her time runs out to make a decision, Nina wonders if she's been given the chance to come to terms with her past, and accept a gift that some never receive--true love. 

I give up. This is just the Year of Sophia now. I looked through the collection of books read, and most of the four-five star books have Rosa Sophia as the author. It appears I rather liked her works this year. This (and pretty much the rest of them) was a book she sent me to read in return for a review. I enjoy doing this and would always be happy to do it again!


Book #7: Romance by the Book by Jo Victor (4 Stars)

For a smart woman, Alex is pretty clueless. She wants the truth, but she’s looking in the wrong place. She wants love, but she’s not looking at all. If only Cam didn’t keep disrupting her life, Alex might be able to find some answers. After all, it’s not as if Cam is interested in her. Which is probably a good thing, since Cam is even more infuriating than she is charming—and she’s got plenty of charm. On the other hand, Rosamund, Cam’s ex and Alex’s professional rival, is definitely interested in Alex, but can she be trusted? Alex doesn’t even realize the historic house she’s staying in is haunted. Perhaps a little supernatural help will lead Alex to uncover the secret of a love story hidden for over a century, and to solve the greatest mystery of all—the truth hidden in her own heart.

Another NetGalley book. I only picked it up because it was in the LGBTQ+ section of the website. I was thought oh, old style art. It must be set further back in time. Yeah no, not so much. It was still great though. I loved the style and everything about it. This one earned a spot in the would-buy-to-read-again section.


Book #8: The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien (5 Stars)

Bilbo Baggins was a hobbit who wanted to be left alone in quiet comfort. But the wizard Gandalf came along with a band of homeless dwarves. Soon Bilbo was drawn into their quest, facing evil orcs, savage wolves, giant spiders, and worse unknown dangers. Finally, it was Bilbo–alone and unaided–who had to confront the great dragon Smaug, the terror of an entire countryside...This stirring adventure fantasy begins the tale of the hobbits that was continued by J.R.R. Tolkien in his bestselling epic The Lord of the Rings.

I can't help myself. Really, I tried to. I actually had to buy a new copy of this recently (on 12/22), because mine is actually more tape than it is book any more. I love re-reading the entire series every now and then. This is by and large my favorite fantasy series in the world and I felt very good about adding it to this year's Top 15 book list! I love the story 


Book #9: Amber Smoke by Kristin Cast (5 Stars)

There is a world that runs parallel to our own, a world in which the souls of the damned are caged, where they are looked over by the Furies, and where they spend eternity in torment, mirroring the devastation and mayhem they created when alive. Someone has opened the cage. The worst of terrors has crossed the barrier that separates our world from theirs, and the Furies send a great, albeit untested warrior—their only son, Alek—to try to bring those souls back. He is young and handsome, headstrong and impulsive, and he won’t be able to do it alone. Eva has grown up, beautiful and beloved, but surrounded by secrets. First, she will be hunted in an ancient feud that will threaten her life. Then, she will become the hunter.

I remember catching someone talking about it on Booktube a few weeks ago and deciding that I needed to have them. I immediately looked for it on NetGalley because it was still only out in ARC form at the time. I found it, and of course requested it. I got it and I squealed and jumped up and down. It was crazy. I loved this book and I think that somewhere in my blog there is a review of it up. Love the world in the book. It's so good.


Book #10: The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (4 Stars)

It’s just a small story really, about among other things: a girl, some words, an accordionist, some fanatical Germans, a Jewish fist-fighter, and quite a lot of thievery....Set during World War II in Germany, Markus Zusak’s groundbreaking new novel is the story of Liesel Meminger, a foster girl living outside of Munich. Liesel scratches out a meager existence for herself by stealing when she encounters something she can’t resist–books. With the help of her accordion-playing foster father, she learns to read and shares her stolen books with her neighbors during bombing raids as well as with the Jewish man hidden in her basement before he is marched to Dachau. This is an unforgettable story about the ability of books to feed the soul.

I kept hearing really really good reviews about this book. Mostly about how it made people cry. I'm not sure if I'm that tough, or they're that weak, but one of us has something going on. It was very good, and I'll admit it was very sad, but not enough to make me cry. I loved the story and only took off the star because it was not written in the style that I normally read. It was good though. I bought the movie too, and it was a great transition from book to film.


Book #11: Agatha H. and the Airship City by Phil and Kaja Foglio (5 Stars)

The Industrial Revolution has escalated into all-out warfare. It has been eighteen years since the Heterodyne Boys, benevolent adventurers and inventors, disappeared under mysterious circumstances. Today, Europe is ruled by the Sparks, dynasties of mad scientists ruling over — and terrorizing — the hapless population with their bizarre inventions and unchecked power, while the downtrodden dream of the Hetrodynes' return. At Transylvania Polygnostic University, a pretty, young student named Agatha Clay seems to have nothing but bad luck. Incapable of building anything that actually works, but dedicated to her studies, Agatha seems destined for a lackluster career as a minor lab assistant. But when the University is overthrown by the ruthless tyrant Baron Klaus Wulfenbach, Agatha finds herself a prisoner aboard his massive airship Castle Wulfenbach — and it begins to look like she might carry a spark of Mad Science after all.

I've read the first....I want to say 9, volumes of this series as a graphic novel and I just loved how the translated it into a regular book. It was brilliant. It follows a girl in an alternate history of the world and who wouldn't want to build a transformer? Seriously? I have the second volume in my room to be read during 2016.


Book #12: The Pyramids of London by Andrea K. Höst (4 Stars)

In a world where lightning sustained the Roman Empire, and Egypt's vampiric god-kings spread their influence through medicine and good weather, tiny Prytennia's fortunes are rising with the ships that have made her undisputed ruler of the air. But the peace of recent decades is under threat. Rome's automaton-driven wealth is waning along with the New Republic's supply of power crystals, while Sweden uses fear of Rome to add to her Protectorates. And Prytennia is under attack from the wind itself. Relentless daily blasts destroy crops, buildings, and lives, and neither the weather vampires nor Prytennia's Trifold Goddess have been able to find a way to stop them. With events so grand scouring the horizon, the deaths of Eiliff and Aedric Tenning raise little interest. The official verdict is accident: two careless automaton makers, killed by their own construct. The Tenning children and Aedric's sister, Arianne, know this cannot be true. Nothing will stop their search for what really happened. Not even if, to follow the first clue, Aunt Arianne must sell herself to a vampire.

I swear this is one of those books where you finish, put it down, and go "What the hell did I just read?" because you don't understand what happened, but you understand what happened. It makes no sense at all. Bear with me. It's another alternative history book. It's great and I would suggest it to everybody.


Book #13: A Call to Arms by Shiriluna Nott and SaJa H. (5 Stars)

Gibben Nemesio is in trouble. His parents are dead, his sister is missing, and he's been left the sole provider for his two younger brothers. With a war brewing in the east and no guarantee of surviving another brutal winter, Gib's life is plagued with uncertainty. To make matters worse, he suddenly finds himself uprooted from his home and drafted into the army. Forced to leave his siblings behind, Gib reports to Silver City, where he enrolls in the legendary Academy of Arden. An outsider and misfit, Gib struggles to fit in among the highborn city folk. His charming candor eventually wins him a handful of friends—an enigmatic mage trainee with a secret, a young girl who has defied tradition by joining the military, and a prince looking to escape his stifling, royal life. But his new-found comrades may not be able to help when Gib alone overhears a traitorous plot—a scheme so horrible that if seen to fruition, all of Arden will suffer for it. It's up to Gib to convince the High Council of Arden to act, to stop the terrible danger before it's too late.

I really can't help myself sometimes. I really can't. I discovered NetGalley, and I started looking at the books they had and this one popped up. I requested it immediately. I love the way they told the story and how hooked it had me. I felt bad for the characters and everything they were going through. I am waiting impatiently for the next one.


Book #14: The Narrow Three by J.K. Miller II (4 Stars)

For Nathan McLain, finding Emily Henderson has been the most difficult case. While he exposed his fiancé’s murderer, he knows the blood is really on Emily’s hands. So he devotes his keen investigative skills to finding her. If only he could. Her knack for disappearing without a trace leaves him kicking up dirt and chasing a shadow. Her victims never leave him so much as a flake of dried skin. So now, he’s on the hunt. She might be elusive, but she is still human. One day he’ll find her. He hopes.

This reminded me of an old movie I watched with my Grandpa on Syfy channel. The people were slowly being taken over by this thing, and it gave them glowing blue blood kind of like the glowing eyes. I don't know why that was so significant to me, but it was. I got teary eyed while reading it because of the memories it brought up of my grandpa. I kind of know J.K. Miller, so I offered to read the book for review. It was beautiful. I think I would suggest this book to anybody who wanted to read an unusual sci-fi where what you think is happening, isn't even close to what's really going on.


Book #15: My Dear Watson by Margaret Park Bridges (5 Stars)

The greatest mystery surrounding Sherlock Holmes comes to light - he was actually a woman! The master - or rather, mistress - of disguise finally puts pen to paper to reveal this decades-long deception and, in so doing, discovers another fact she kept secret even from herself.

Everyone who knows me, knows that I am a big nerd for Sherlock Holmes. I love how outrageous everything is and the way the stories are told. How could I have passed up a book in which the biggest plot twist I'd heard yet happens? I loved the way this story was told and I can't wait to get into more of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment