Friday, January 1, 2016

Review: When I Remember You by Rosa Sophia

This novella was published on November 17th, 2015 by Limitless Publishing, LLC. I received the copy I read from Rosa Sophia in return for an honest review.

Nina Archer is back in Florida, discovering a love for life she never had before…Things are finally looking up for Nina. Her mother is sober again, she shares an apartment with her best friend, and she’s training for her first marathon. She’s even sending out queries for her first novel, though she doubts anyone would publish something by a nobody like her. But memories of her late father, while painful, give her the strength to persevere. When Wes Ladner shows up on race day, he almost stops Nina in her tracks…Wes is back in Florida to work on his new book after months of traveling, and Nina isn’t sure what to do about their intense friendship. Making love on the beach was easy for them, but committing to a relationship doesn’t seem possible, and Wes appears to be carrying an emotional burden he hadn’t before. Nina settles into a rhythm and finds her place in life but struggles to understand what she and Wes have taught each other through their passionate intimacy. Is it possible for Nina and Wes to move beyond friendship, or is it their destiny to part ways and carry only precious memories on separate paths to fulfillment? - Goodreads.com

I was supposed to have reviewed this book a while ago, but I recently had a stomach bug and head cold at the same time. Wound up with pudding brain for several days. It was terrible. I could not for the life of me actually focus on reading or writing the blog post. Now that the cobwebs have been cleared from my mind, lets get on with the review!

I gave this book a five out of five stars because I loved the way this was written. You really get a feel for what Nina is going through, even if you're trying not to. I couldn't help but get wrapped up in her life. I felt bad when I read that she had to move out of her mother's house, but I was also happy that she was finally getting out of that toxic situation.

When Wes came back, I thought for sure that she was going to end up dating him (like is common in so many contemporary novellas). I was delightfully surprised to find this to be not the case. It was definitely refreshing to see that they understood that a relationship does not need to be physical to still be valid. Yes, ladies and gentleman, you can have close friends of the opposite gender. It does happen!

I didn't take any stars away because of how well this story was written, but I had been under the impression that it was going to be about Nina remembering her father. While Nina did think about her dad at least twice that I can recall, and talk about him a few times, the story seemed to dwell more on her future with Wes and not really as much on her father. There should have been more flashbacks to her father in the story. The only part that could have been linked to the title is her dreams, but then she wouldn't technically be remembering him.

Overall I enjoyed this story and can't wait to finish my next Rosa Sophia book (Meet Me in the Garden) and get that review up as well. Until next time~

No comments:

Post a Comment