Saturday, December 31, 2016

2017 Bookish Resolutions and To Be Read

So, I thought that I would post my goals and resolutions before New Year's day this time. I never got around to it for 2016....I mean I did post them, but not until January (or possibly February, I don't remember). Anyway....let's move on and actually talk about the important things.

* RESOLUTIONS *

Okay, so for my actual bookish resolutions, I picked a handful of things that I thought would be easy enough for me to meet. 

1. Meet and/or exceed my reading goal on Goodreads. 
This one is fairly obvious I think. I want to read 60 books next year. This year I did try. I made it to 86 books (so far. I am a little under half-way through If I Stay by Gayle Forman). I want to actually hit the 60 goal. To do so I'm considering not participating in Camp NaNo in either April or July to keep up.

2. Review every book I read.
Also a slightly easier thing to do. I had this as a goal in 2016, and I failed it terribly. Oops. I started strong and then just trailed off. I'm not going to hold myself to making long, detailed reviews. At least three sentences for each book. I'm giving myself a limit of at least 85-90% of books reviewed to consider this accomplished.

3. Stick to my book buying limit. 
I've decided to keep to my limit of book buying. I set myself a limit of 10 new books per month, be they eBooks or physical. If I buy more than 10 in a month, that many will be taken off of the next month. So, if I buy say 12 books in August, in September I can buy only 8 books, but if I buy 8 books in August, I can still only buy 10 books in September. It doesn't work the other way around.

4. Finish The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexander Dumas
I have been reading this book for nearly 3 years now. I want to finish it in early 2017! Of course as soon as I finish it I will be picking up Les Misérables by Victor Hugo. A mass market paperback that's nearly 200 pages LONGER than The Count of Monte Cristo. I think I may like torturing myself with gigantic books.

* TO BE READ *

The following is the list of books I want to read come 2017. I have a system worked out so there are 24 books on this list. 

Daughters Unto Devils by Amy Lukavics
Butcher Bird by Richard Kadrey
How to Hang a Witch by Adriana Mather
Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas
With Malice by Eileen Cook
Critical Failure by Robert Bevan
The Clouded Sky by Megan Crewe
The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken
The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath
Butterfly's Child by Angela Davis-Gardner
Vanity Fair by William Makepeace Thackery
Villette by Charlotte Brontë
Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden
The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides
The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris
The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins
The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway
Horns by Joe Hill
12 Years a Slave by Solomon Northup
Grasshopper Jungle by Andrew Smith
Where Things Come Back by John Corey Whaley
Me Before You by Jojo Moyes
Out of the Easy by Ruta Sepetys

No comments:

Post a Comment