Friday, March 24, 2017

Friday Reads: 04 March to 24 March

Currently Reading

- The Outline of Literature by Gerald E. SeBoyer (36%)
- The Barrowfields by Phillip Lewis (17%)
- The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson (06%)
- The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah (24%)
- To the Letter by Simon Garfield (22%)
- The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead (51%)
- A Study in Charlotte by Brittany Cavallaro (48%)
- Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden (03%)
- Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke (12%)
- The Clouded Sky by Megan Crewe (25%)
- The Original Illustrated Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (12%)
- The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas (71%)

So, 18 March-ish. I may have accidentally deleted my post while I was writing it and replaced it with a picture of a very lovely red dragon that I have on a game. That will teach me. Write out the posts elsewhere as well so that way I don't have to start all over again. I only make mistakes like that once before I learn my lesson and don't do it again. I also realize that this is the best plan for now to keep myself from accidentally deleting what I need for my blog! Ooops. 

I've been hearing this question pop up all the time on BookTube, blogs, Facebook groups, and all sorts of other places: What got you into reading? and it's various iterations across the web. I don't really have an answer for that question that makes much sense. Reading got me into reading. You see, when I was growing up, we couldn't afford cable. Yes, we had a television and some VHS tapes. I was born right when movies like The Little Mermaid and The Lion King were being released by Disney. Downside was, we had to wait for the movies to go to VHS and then hit yardsales. I was a very poor child. To my advantage, however, the local free public library was literally just up the street. Not even half a block. It was from like 1/8-1/4 at best I think? I spent many summers curled up on my couch with a library book. Did I ever finish them? Nope. Not usually. That didn't start until recently.

You could say that it was the act of reading being something I didn't have to pay for (unless I misplaced my library book and didn't return it on time) was what got me very interested in reading in the first place. I love books and collect them now. Some I have from when I was little because they remind me of days spent in my room, on the couch, in the "play" room, wherever I ended up....reading.

I have been trying to do a currently reading take down and it's not going particularly well. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised. I did, however, organize my books by the author's last name...it happened. I never thought I would be the one who does this, but I did. In this version I didn't have enough space to put Android Karenina by Leo Tolstoy & Brian H. Winters up. I also forgot to shelve my eight tiny Funk & Wagnalls books. Yeah, I put them back and started up again. Haha.

I think I will really try tomorrow. Definitely leave all electronics off. I will of course do my chores, but I get easily bored while I'm reading unless I love the story. This is why I have multiple books running all at once. Ugh. I want to read now, but I also don't want to turn off BookTube. I would just watch on the TV, but the account logged in isn't mine and I would have to search it slowly. 

That's all for now folks. See you at the end of next week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment