Wednesday, December 26, 2018

Top 5 Wednesday: Books You Didn't Get to in 2018

I'm not entirely sure what this topic means...the tag line is: "Discuss the books you didn't quite get around to this year but are at the top of your list for 2019!" I assume that means we are to pick more or less a 5-book TBR for next year? I guess....anyway, I just picked five books that are on my shelves that looked good that I didn't pick up this year. I'm a mood reader so I don't really do TBRs. Hmmm....well....let's see what the future holds!


1. The Magicians by Lev Grossman - I bought this for myself as part of the trilogy a few weeks (read: months) ago and I never actually got to it. I've seen a good amount of the series and I wanted to read the source material for the television series to see how closely they put it with the original works. Plus it comes off as like college for Harry Potter.

2. A List of Cages by Robin Roe - Someone somewhere was talking about this on BookTube and when I saw it on sale at Walmart, I just had to had to have it. I remembered the plot being about two boys and their relationship. One has a minor developmental issue, and the other is definitely a sad boy. They have a shared history and it just looked like a very interesting read.

3. The Bone Witch by Rin Chupeco - I like weird things. I also really need to watch less BookTube. I see these books that are being talked about and if they are interesting, I write them down in a notebook that I then carry with me to the bookstore. If I see the book on my list at the bookstore, I have a terrible habit of buying it.

4. Illuminae by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff - I have had this book for a year or better (I can't remember) and I think I started it once, made it to maybe page five, and then put it down and didn't pick it up again. I know! I know! I have problems. Anyway, this is another one that I want to get to some time in 2019, so it's going on the list for this week's T5W.

5. The Beautiful Country and the Middle Kingdom by John Pomfret - I have an obsession with China lately and this is a nonfiction book about the history of China and America and their relations with each other. During Empress Cixi's reign, China opened it's doors to the other major world powers, America among them, and began sending her countrymen out to learn and study abroad. Hopefully I can learn something really good from this particular book. I bought it late in the year with the goal of starting it right away and ended up starting something else instead. Let's read this one in 2019. 

No comments:

Post a Comment