Saturday, January 9, 2021

Currently Reading: 01 to 09 January 2021

Currently Reading


- A Little Life by Hanya Yanigahara (08%)
- Lovely War by Julie Barry (10%)
- The Girl with the Ghost Eyes by M.H. Boroson (08%)
- Les Miserables by Victor Hugo (03%)

* * *

Yearly Reading Goal
4/100

* * *

I forgot (again) to actually write the blog post. It isn't that I mean to, it's just that I have a terrible memory I guess and that I just don't always remember to do things that I tell myself to do. I even went and bought a small, cheap day planner to use so I could write down the reading and writing tasks that I had to accomplish so I wouldn't forget them. I am that bad apparently. Hence why this post is so far off from the last one. I told myself I would start over in January. Go back to the biweekly schedule and post on my day off from work. I may include other silly things on my days off during the week. I have one or two set up on the side. 

I started Les Miserables at last. It will take me probably a long time to actually read it. Hence why I only want to make it a quarter of the way through in three months. A somewhat reasonable goal considering the size of the font and number of pages total. Here's hoping I can actually get all the way through it in 2021. 

I'm wavering between two different set ups for the monthly TBRs. 2/2/2 or 3/2/1. Either way it will be physical-digital-audio. It takes me a long time to actually get through audiobooks because I don't actually listen to them that often. I will either have 24/24/24 or 36/24/12 total for the year in TBR books. I don't know what I want to do. The decision that breaks my January. How many print books to pick to read every month. First world struggles, I know. It doesn't help that there are HUNDREDS of books that I look at on my shelf and go "I want to read that..." even though I now know better than to keep putting more books on my Currently Reading list.

I meant to put up the January TBR post on 31 December 2020, but we see when I actually got it up. Life is a struggle. My plan of 6 books and only on the TBR has already gone right out the window. I have 3 group reads, 1 buddy read, and an ARC. Of which only 1 was on the TBR to begin with (the ARC). I gave myself too much to do in January. Eh, whatever I miss I will just roll over to next month. 

I have been considering deleting my old Goodreads account, the one I used Facebook to connect to, and just making a private account on the site. That way if I ever delete/lose/get hacked I won't need to worry that much about my Goodreads disappearing as well. Huh. Never mind. When I use the email log-in, it just takes me back to my page. That's fun. I guess I won't have to worry about it after all?

Ugh. So first book down for 2021 was a dud! A 1-star! Is that how the rest of the year will go? It wouldn't have been so bad if the voice had not been so sarcastic. She wrote it like she was making fun of the subject matter. Which, as a witch myself, I find appropriately offensive. She didn't even go through the four centuries like she claimed she would. She mostly stuck to 1690s, 1850s, and 1999. That's not four centuries, that's three decades. 

I gave up on The Gilded King by Josie Jaffrey. I couldn't stand the writing or how juvenile the cast was. People were being ostracized for things that they couldn't control. People were believing they were being punished when it was literally luck of the draw. I couldn't read any more. I will give the book another try later, but if I can't read it then either, it will go into the bin of books to be rid of. Sometimes you just hit that dud that you can't do anything about. 

Started listening to A Little Life again. Changed how it tracks the elapsed time so I can figure out my percentage better. Just to keep up. I have no idea how many pages I've read though. I could try to figure it out, but that seems like it may just be like too much work to me. I will just rely on the percentage for time elapsed. X3

With that, I think I will actually close this post. Before it gets too large and unruly. I love you all and I will see you in the next one~!!

No comments:

Post a Comment