Monday, February 1, 2021

February 2021 To-Be-Read

 I did a somewhat decent job finishing last month's TBR. I got all of the physical books read and some of the digital, did get to the audiobook (it was stupid...) I have also decided to increase the number of book on my TBR from six books to ten. I have a good system set up for how to split them (because I know where my strengths lie in reading). This time around, instead of three print, two digital, and one audio, we are going to increase each section to: five physical, three digital, and two audio.

Here we go!!

Physical Books

1. Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo - This was suggested to me by a friend in one of my servers, by way of him just randomly babbling at me and me being entirely clueless about whatever it was he was trying to tell me. So I figured I would buy the series. It was cheaper to buy both box sets than it probably would have been to buy them individually. So far I'm about...twenty pages in, and it kind of is very...Russian? Is it supposed to be so Russian? I'm looking forward to getting further in and figuring out why this book is so popular.

2. The Dragon's Legacy by Deborah A. Wolf - I started this in January for a reading challenge to pick up something by an author with the same initials as you. I am liking it so far, I'm very confused by it, but, that's not surprising since I kind of went in blind right after reading There Will Come a Darkness, so...I'm really doing it to myself. There are wyverns, and possibly full on dragons? They mention two Akari and Sajani, a mated pair of Sun and Earth dragons. Who knows. As of 01 February 2021, I am about 170 pages in and finishing up the rest of it. 

3. Greek Religion: A Sourcebook by Valerie M. Warrior - I have been really getting back into my studies for Hellenism. I don't remember what sparked it, but I have wanted to learn more about the gods and culture of the pantheon that I tend to follow. I am starting with something smaller and reasonably easier to actually read through. Still marking it up, and doing my best to keep notes. Yay for being somewhat responsible!!

4. The Dragon Republic by R.F. Kuang - I want to read this one early in 2021, because I have already ordered the third and final book in the series, The Burning God, and it is due to arrive in January. I loved The Poppy War back when I read it a few months ago, and I think now would be an excellent time to finish it up. I am looking forward to the continuation of Rin's story and finding out how it all concludes when the third book arrives.

5. The Kingdom by Jess Rothenberg - I have been dying to get this book for ages. The best way I can describe it is Disney meets the Terminator. These automatons are made to be as lifelike as possible to work as princesses for The Kingdom, a theme park. Someone gets dead and one of these automatons is charged with the murder. We follow what happened before, during, and after the trial, but not necessarily in that order. It looked amazing and I like the cover so I thought I would give it a go.


Digital Books

6. The Girl with the Ghost Eyes by M.H. Boroson - This was acquired in one of the many caffeine fueled psychosis hauls where I was just getting anything that looked remotely interesting at a time when I should not have been allowed access to the internet (think like 3-4 in the morning) after a rather long shift at work. I have been obsessed with China and Chinese dramas lately and this is set in Chinatown and references the characters emigrating from China to the United States, specifically...California, I think. I started it in late December 2020, and intend to finish it some time this month. 

7. Spin the Dawn by Elizabeth Lim - The cover is pretty. I'm a fan of Mulan, but definitely not Project Runway, so this ought to be a good go. I think the premise sounds rather interesting. I have no idea what I will think about it. This was one of those books that at one point or another was very popular on BookTube so I figured I would give it a try. Yeah.

8. Roseblood by Emily Shore - This one is a paranormal romance? Oh! I really ought to read the rest of the synopsis sometimes, this is a fantasy retelling of The Phantom of the Opera (which is another book I need to read, that I own, maybe March's TBR....). Right. This looks like a lot of fun. I picked it at random from a bunch that the covers intrigued me. I can't remember what half the books on my Kindle are even about because I buy them in such a frenzy. I am definitely looking forward to this one. 


Audio Books

9. A Little Life by Hanya Yanigahara - I started this some time last month and I'm already ~36% of the way in. Hopefully I can finish it by the end of the month? It's 32 hours long. THIRTY TWO. That's quite a long time. I'm not sure how I feel about what I've previously listened to. It's....something. I can never tell at first if I'm supposed to be mad, sad, happy, or disgusted. It's strange. For a while there, I thought Jude was no longer on the mortal coil, but then they talk about him in the future past where we were and what he's doing. I don't know. 

10. Broken for You by Stephanie Kallos - I literally only picked this one because it is included in my Audible subscription, and it's one that I own in hard cover so I know I can find it on Goodreads to add to my currently reading list. I may even just track my progress with the book. Since I assume it wouldn't be that different in edition. It's one of those books that I've been reading a lot of lately. A contemporary about women who are learning to heal from broken pasts. I don't even normally like these, but they are good to keep me occupied on my walk to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment