Sunday, February 28, 2021

February 2021 Wrap Up

 I have read 3 books in February~


1. Yarichin Bitch Club #1 by Tanaka a - Wow. Just...wow. There is a good reason that this was plastic wrapped. For the ones that missed it in the Book Haul, my boyfriend commented that this was just Ouran, only gayer. And hot damn, he's not wrong. I was impressed by the art and I loved it. I feel so bad for this poor first year, and I'm wondering just what is going on with the cutie pie boy who is always just wherever he is. There seems to be something about the two transfer students. Why would they be spontaneously so interested in each other? I think Yu knew what the Photography Club was before he tried to join up. He didn't seem at all surprised when he walked in on what Yuka was doing. I am looking forward to buying the next volumes in this series. 

2. Therapy Game #1 by Meguru Hinoharu - I grabbed this initially because it was a BL manga. Then I realized my mistake when I read it. I feel so bad for Minato. He has been crushed so many times by people that he just internalized his entire personality. I don't think realizes that Shizuma was black out drunk, that the person he slept with had zero conscious idea that he was even being slept with. Unconscious people don't want tea, he physically could not consent. Well, here's hoping it is different in the future. I also love the fact that there is something about Shizuma that makes Minato want to open up to him. Want to tell him the truth. It's cute, and yet has much gay. 

3. Birds of Shangri-La #1 by Ranmaru Zariya - This was the first of BL manga that I bought. I mean, the cover was beautiful to look at and I wanted to know (contrary to KS's belief) what on earth plot line had a pretty naked tattooed man on his knees. I was not disappointed. I feel kind of bad that Apollo was put into the situation that got him at the all-male brothel in the first place. He was that desperate for money that he was willing to subject himself to that. I like Phi, too. He is such a broken character and I think Apollo's steady nature (that we see right now) will be very good for helping calm and heal whatever it is that throws him into such rages.

4. My Hero Academia #10 by Kohei Horikoshi - Continuing during the hero camp. There's not that much I can say that won't spoil it for future readers other than we complete hero camp and go on a few rescue missions. It was really good and I can't wait to get more in the series. 

5. Hitorijime My Hero #2 by Memeko Arii - This was so cute. The boys just strike me as an excellent couple. I'm glad the ended up staying together in the end, because splitting them up would just be a horrible thing. I suggest anyone interested in fluffy BL novels that aren't heavy on the sexy time, read this one. It's an LGBT rom-com. 

6. Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo - As per usual, I don't understand what the hype was all about. It went about as I thought it would, the one random orphan girl was discovered to have the biggest and best power of them all. The only one that can defeat the bad guy? I mean, it's not a bad story. Just an overplayed one in my opinion. 

7. My Next Life as a Villainess: All Routes Lead to Doom! #1 by Satoru Yamaguchi - This one was better than I thought it would be. Not as good as expected, but still not that bad. The artwork was really good too. I liked the fact that this is a sort of portal fantasy in which the girl ends up having to live out the life of the character from the otome game she was playing. And that she's going to try to make it so that her "character" doesn't end up dead or exiled or anything. I wonder if nature will force her hand and make things happen to end up that way anyway, of if she will be able to overcome it?

8. Seraph of the End #1 by Takaya Kagami - I heard about this and I saw cosplays of the various characters and I thought I would give it a try. It looked good and the story is pretty interesting so far as plots go. I don't know how I will feel when Yu meets back up with Mika again. That will be a tad heart-wrenching I think. Looking forward to the rest of the series. 

9. Seraph of the End #2 by Takaya Kagami - Yu reminds me of many other anime/manga protagonists. Too eager to get out to where the action is without knowing what he's getting himself into. He's going to get hurt and there's just no way to avoid it, but being hurt is going to unlock whatever special hidden potential he has and allow him to access some weird superhuman ability of some kind or other. Just mark my words. He's already itching to get out there where the action is, with zero training.

10. Seraph of the End #3 by Takaya Kagami - Called it. Yu was not happy until he got out on the front lines and now he's in the middle of a battle with some pretty powerful vampires. Mika is there and I know it's only a matter of time before they run into each other. I have fuzzy memories of seeing a clip from the anime (which is partly why in my head I never say Seraph of the End, I always call it Owari no Seraph...bad brain, we don't actually speak Japanese) of Mika and Yu in some sort of warehouse or storage space. I wonder if that is coming up soon? I can't wait to see how that confrontation goes down.  Yu's going to be sure that Mika betrayed him. Absolutely. 

11. My Hero Academia #11 by Kohei Horikoshi - I didn't realize that part of it happened as early on in the series as it did. I thought we would have more time before when the movie took place. Nope, it really was fast. I loved it and still feel bad for all the families of the students of UA who have to make the decision of whether or not to send their children to the school dorms. 

No comments:

Post a Comment