Friday, June 16, 2023

June 2023 Wrap Up

I've actually read a decent number of books in June. Just barely more than last month. I read 8 books total in June! Let's get on with the reviews~

1. We Can Count on Eleven by Geof Smith - Just a Little Golden book that I saw and had to have. Stranger Things is one of my absolute favorite television shows (apparently I got sucked in during my first watch?) and so when I saw this book on the shelf at my work place, I absolutely had to have it. It's only 24 pages long, it is a children's book, but hey still like it. 

2. Hotel Magnifique by Emily J. Taylor - It was something. A YA for sure, I was surprised at how good it was. It reminded me of The Night Circus in how the hotel only showed up at random. I liked how you couldn't get in without an invitation, the wards put up on the building wouldn't allow it. The twist in the end was surprising. I loved it and I am certainly looking forward to more books by Emily J. Taylor. 

3. The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid - Clips from the audiobook had been circulating BookTok (and just all over regular TikTok), and caused enough intrigue that I had to see what I was missing. The line itself that had called to me, it turns out, was at the very end of the book. I loved the story and couldn't stop reading. It did take me too long to figure out the importance of certain decisions Evelyn made and what she intended the whole thing be. I recommend this to anyone really. 

4. The Last Cuentista by Donna Barba Higuera - I picked this up at random from the local (ish) public library. It was interesting, definitely. I went in completely blind, not sure what I was going to think of it. Turns out its a YA Sci-Fi and they actually leave the Earth (not a spoiler, it's literally chapter 1) for a new world because something is happening to Earth and it won't be safe any more. I liked the way the story was told and how we follow along with Petra as she learns different things and figures out what's going on and how to at least attempt to make it better. I'd rather if there had been more to the story. It felt like it kind of just stopped. Set up for a second volume? I hope so. 

5. The Luminaries by Susan Dennard - This was an interesting read. Clearly just the set up for a sequel. So much happened in this book that was not addressed at all. I want to know what happened with Jay, the werewolf, the Whisperer....so much still needs to be explained!!! I wasn't impressed with the naming system, but the fact each clan only gathered on their "day" was funny. I am definitely adding the Witchlands on my reading list. 

6. A Song of Salvation by Alechia Dow - I loved this. Not quite a full five stars. I could have done without the constant repetition of the various characters descriptions and known (at the time) purposes. I know what you look like and you need to do. The book was well written. I enjoyed how the characters from her previous book (The Sound of Stars) have made it to this book. I liked it. 

7. The Kiss of '89 by Ruth Hanson - I bought this from Barnes & Noble because let's face it, it's definitely a Steddie fic that got hit with Find & Replace. I loved the take on it. This poor kid's world gets turned entirely upside down in the course of like ten minutes. He goes from the top of the social ladder, with no higher he could possibly go, and then it's all ripped out from under him. I felt bad for Wes through most of the book and even worse for Nicky who really was this sweet guy. He just didn't do school well. I did wish we got, if nothing else, an epilogue to tell us what happened after the end of the main story. I wanna know!! 

8. Eastside Hedge Witch by T.J. Deschamps - It was a sort of disappointment. I was really into the story, following a witch named Miriam as she learns about her own family and history. She defeats this hellhound and then well, it all goes downhill from there. I loved following as the man who'd been in love with her for a very long time managed to hold himself back and keep from doing what he really wanted. I just wish it hadn't...come to a full stop. It's like they were in the core part of a scene and then quite literally "the end, this has been Eastside Hedge Witch" and I was sorely disappointed. At least finish your thought!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment