Wednesday, May 31, 2023

June 2023 To Be Read

I have been doing pretty well as far as keeping track these days, so here we go with my June 2023 To Be Read!! 

Print

1. Thousand Autumns #1 by Meng Xi Shi - I found this book while looking for something else entirely by the same publisher, and I couldn't resist. Seven Seas is the publishing house responsible for bringing one of my favorite Chinese danmei novel series' to English readers and I had to find out what else they are doing. This one follows a demonic sect master who wants to prove himself right about the true natures of people's hearts and the person whom he uses as his test subject. I totally couldn't wait and started this on 30 May....

2. Small Favors by Erin A. Craig - Going back to one that I started and never finished because something got in the way. We are reading from the point of view of a girl raised in an isolated village where monsters roam the forest bordering the town. Something bad happens and Ellerie is the one tasked with stopping the entire town from being destroyed along with those she loves. I have no idea. It looks brilliant. 

3. The Kaiju Preservation Society by John Scalzi - I saw it on BookTok/BookTube and I couldn't not. A preserve for creatures like Godzilla and Mothra that is in danger? Under 300 pages? Sign me right up! Much like one of last month's books, this does take place during/after the height of the Covid-19 pandemic. Our main character is this dead-end driver and he ends up helping someone take care of giant dinosaur-like monsters. I am super excited to get into this. 

Digital

4. The Jasad Heir by Sara Hashem* - I was approved for an ARC of this book through NetGalley and I just cannot contain myself at all. I have already pre-ordered it and plan to read the finished copy in July when it comes out just to see the differences. The main character is a young woman who is fighting to get her country back from invaders and take her rightful place on the throne. I am totally looking forward to this. 

5. The Storm Singers by Michael Boccardi - Again, just restarting a book that I already had that I put down to participate in a readathon. We follow some swords-for-hire that end up in a situation they have no business being part of and how they are going to get themselves out of it and the effect it has on the wider world of Tefia. It was interesting and I had grabbed the pre-order for the ebook, which I'm only just now getting around to reading. 

Audio

6. Eastside Hedge Witch by T.J. Deschamps - It looked interesting and a friend of mine (known as RW for now) recommended it. It's the first volume in the Midlife Supernaturals series and is marketed as a paranormal women's fiction book, whatever that means. This woman is just trying to live the life of a standard suburban mom, but then all hell breaks loose (somewhat literally) and she's thrown back into a life she'd tried to leave behind her. I am curious about it. It sounds like the kind of literary junk food that I adore when I've read too many serious epic high fantasy novels in a row and need a mental palette cleanser.

Bonus

7. A Song of Salvation by Alechia Dow* - A continuation of a book I started in May and just haven't finished yet. One of the rare times where I got an unsolicited ARC of a book (this time by an author I'd read in the past and enjoyed!). We follow a young girl who is the embodiment of long-dead god who needs to unlock this power to save the universe, if I'm remembering correctly. I have moderately high expectations. 

8. The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid - The audiobook from May that I made it about halfway through. I am enjoying it, I just haven't been walking around outdoors as often (the temps have been in the upper 80s/low 90s...ew). We follow Monique Grant as she interviews famous Hollywood star Evelyn Hugo for a potential tell-all biography. It's pretty interesting so far and I'm looking forward to finishing it!


* - ARCs received either by request or unsolicited for review. 

No comments:

Post a Comment