Monday, March 30, 2015

Review: A Call to Arms by Shiriluna Nott & SaJa H

This book was published on October 15, 2014 by Sun and Shadow Press. It has 313 pages. This story follows Gibben Nemesio, a thirteen-year-old boy who has lost both of his parents and must raise his younger brothers on the farm left behind by their father. It is an LGBT/Fantasy novel.

I got the book because of a post in a Facebook group. I followed one of the authors not that long ago, because if I see the word "Author" or "Writer" as the page type, I like it. She had posted a link to this book and I got it, not thinking much about besides it being LGBT so of course I'm going to want to read it. I did not expect it to be nearly as good as it is. I'll try not to spoil it.

It follows Gibben Nemesio after he receives a summons from the rulers of Arden that he has to report for training and join the army. There is fear of a war starting with another country and they need to train more soldiers to fight. Of course being only thirteen years old and having two younger siblings he looks after on his own, Gibben is worried. He doesn't know how his brothers will survive without him there to help them.

He cannot ignore the summons though, and heads off to Silver City to train. While he's there, he meets an unbelievable cast of characters. Some I didn't like right off the bat, while others I did. I'm sure everyone who reads this book or has read it will agree that Diedrick is a very unlikable character. I think he is the kind of nobility that Gibben fears. Those that look down on any below their station, regardless of their capabilities. Gibben, who goes by Gib for most of the book, is nervous about meeting him when his sister takes him to get his schedule worked out. I'd be, too, if I were suddenly thrust into a huge city after spending my entire life living on a farm.

He doesn't think he's going to do well. Until he meets his room mate, Joel Adelwijn. He feels the same when he makes other friends including Tarquin, Didier, Nage, and Kezra. A lot happens that puts him in a very awkward spot. He tells his friends and they pass it off as just a rumor. Until something big happens. Now they have to figure out what Gib knows and if it will happen again.

In the midst of all this, it's revealed that Gibben has romantic feelings for Joel. They now have to figure out how to keep their budding relationship secret in a world that frowns upon it. All in all it was a great book and I cannot wait for the second volume to come out.

I gave this book 5/5 stars and I could not contain my excitement when I finished it. I will definitely review the next one until it comes out. Until then, happy reading!!

No comments:

Post a Comment