Thursday, June 7, 2018

Friday Reads: 05 May to 08 June 2018

Currently Reading



Chariot of the Gods by Erich von Däniken (14%)
- Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer (41%)
Religions in Japan by William K. Bunce (31%)
The Rise and Fall of D.O.D.O. by Neal Stephenson and Nicole Galland (06%)
- 12 Years a Slave by Solomon Northup (27%)
- Journey to the West by Wu Cheng'en (14%)
From Holmes to Sherlock by Mattias Bostrom (14%)
Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe (21%)
- To the Letter by Simon Garfield (51%)
Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke (27%)
The Original Illustrated Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (39%)

* * *

So I got rid of a few books that I was making no progress on whatsoever. Then I added a few that I was super interested in reading. It still irks me that I didn't manage to get further in Les Miserables before I put it off my Currently Reading list. Meh. There is next year. 

I'm still working out my book plans. I think I'm not going to bother any more with a max number of books I can buy for the month, I usually double-triple it within a week anyway. Not worth it. I will still do the rolls for the number of books to read, which for May was 10 (I managed 9). Bumping the size of the die up one from a d10 to a d12. Now to pick the d12 I plan to use. 

I realized recently that I am overdue for a BookOutlet haul. I have a few in my cart already, maybe I will buy them soon? Got a couple of Wizard of Oz manga saved, Hearts Trapped in Oz volumes one and two. 

Been thinking again,which I know is dangerous for me, that starting in May I would pick 2-6 books as a planned TBR. d6 to decide how any then you know, a random number generator to pick the books from my private library catalog to actually read. May was 4: 

1: A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini
2: The Third Twin by C.J. Omololu
3: Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil by John Berendt
4: The Upside of Unrequited by Becky Albertalli

Working my way through The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern again. Less than 200 pages to go (finished it on 15 May) and it can take the challenge "A book with more than 500 pages" because it comes in at 512 that are actual story. I wonder where she got the idea for it in the first place? It's so bizarre and unlike any other circus story I've ever heard of before. 

I'm so proud of myself. Not even halfway through the year and I'm more than halfway through my reading goal. 34/50 or 68% of the goal. 13 books ahead of schedule. I read 9 books in April and 9 books in May. So good!

I found a challenge to try in June. It's called the #summercramathon2018 and it will be running from 10-17 June. There are 7 prompts as it were and I will mention each one along with the book I've chosen for the prompt. Here we go:

1: A predicted 5-star read - And I Darken by Kiersten White
2: A book out of your comfort zone - The Darkest Corner by Liliana Hart
3: A book that's been on your TBR a long time - Dracula by Bram Stoker
4: An LGBT+ own voices book - The Before Now and After Then by Peter Monn
5: A non-traditional book - Homestuck Book 1: Act 1 and 2 by Andrew Hussie
6: A book with your favorite color on it - Grasshopper Jungle by Andrew Smith
7: A seventh book - Book of a Thousand Days by Shannon Hale

Since I managed to actually not read any of the May TBR books, I'm going to just add them to the June TBR and not come up with a new one. Here's hoping I can read some, if not all of the eleven books on that silly list in June. 

No comments:

Post a Comment