Wednesday, December 12, 2018

November Haul/Wrap Up & December TBR

I figure that I will start doing both things at the same time. I will only list the books I bought in the month with a synopsis because I usually just buy because pretty. I rarely have any reasoning...

With no further adieu, let's begin with November's Haul. They are in no particular order, I put them in the list as I remember them.

November Book Haul

1. Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan - When New Yorker Rachel Chu agrees to spend the summer in Singapore with her boyfriend, Nicholas Young, she envisions a humble family home and quality time with the man she hopes to marry. But Nick has failed to give his girlfriend a few key details. One, that his childhood home looks like a palace; two, that he grew up riding in more private planes than cars; and three, that he just happens to be the country’s most eligible bachelor. On Nick’s arm, Rachel may as well have a target on her back the second she steps off the plane, and soon, her relaxed vacation turns into an obstacle course of old money, new money, nosy relatives, and scheming social climbers.

2. Ikigai by Yukari Mitsuhashi - Ikigai is a traditional Japanese concept that embodies happiness in living. It is, essentially, the reason that you get up in the morning. This book is about finding your ikigai - identifying your purpose or passion and using this knowledge to achieve greater happiness in your life. Your ikigai doesn't have to be some grand ambition or highly noble life's purpose - it can be something simple and humble, like tending your garden or walking your dog. Having grown up in Japan, Yukari Mitsuhashi understands first hand what ikigai means to Japanese people. Now living in Los Angeles, she has written this book to introduce the traditional concept to a new audience. This is not a 'one size fits all' book. Instead, Ikigai encourages you to look at the details of your life and appreciate the everyday moments as you learn to identify your own personal ikigai. The book includes case studies from a range of people sharing their ikigai, from university lecturers and writers to doctors. With its refreshingly simple philosophy and liberating concepts, this beautifully presented book will be a guide you will return to again and again.

3. Attack on Titan v7 by Hajime Isayama - TURNING ON THEIR OWN! The Survey Corps sets a cunning trap to capture the mysterious Abnormal Titan that broke through their ranks. As Armin tries to determine the grotesque creature's identity and purpose, scouts report Titans closing in on all sides! But they don't seem to be after the humans - instead they're targeting the Titan!

4. Attack on Titan v8 by Hajime Isayama - BLOOD ON HIS HANDS, the expedition outside the wall was Eren's chance to prove himself. But it failed, and the female Titan is free once more! With his squad dead, Eren faces a royal summons. Will Mikasa and Armin have to betray their king to save their friend? And can they discover the female Titan's identity before she kills again?

5. Kiss Him Not Me v2 by Junko - Hi there! It's Kae again. When I go to school every day, it feels like I’m walking into a real life dating game. Four of the hottest guys in my school are with me everywhere I go! The school festival is coming up and I’ve been put in charge of making the boys outfits for a cosplay cafĂ©. Do you know what this means? That’s right, I get to see them all in costume! I have lived for this day, and this day alone. I’m brimming with excitement to go full-throttle fujoshi on those boys! But wait! Last night before the festival, Igarashi-kun was acting kind of weird, wasn’t he? And now, it’s the day of the event and crazy things keep happening to me with these four beautiful boys! My heart won’t stop pounding! This is way too real for me. I want to go back to my fantasies!!

6. Kiss Him Not Me v3 by Junko - Hi there! It's Kae again. Recently I made a new friend. Her name is Shima, and she's the most handsome girl I've ever met in my life! ...And guess what else? She also happens to be one of my favorite doujin authors ever! I mean, how much cooler can you get? But it doesn't stop there--she invited me over to her house and the most unbelievable thing happened!! It looks like the boys have some tough competition. Let's see if they can keep up...

7. The Seven Deadly Sins v1 by Nakaba Suzuki - When they were accused of trying to overthrow the monarchy, the feared warriors the Seven Deadly Sins were sent into exile. Princess Elizabeth discovers the truth - the Sins were framed by the king's guard, the Holy Knights - too late to prevent them from assassinating her father and seizing the throne! Now the princess is on the run, seeking the Sins to help her reclaim the kingdom. But the first Sin she meets, Meliodas, is a little innkeeper with a talking pig. He doesn't even have a real sword! Have the legends of the Sins' strength been exaggerated...?

8. The Seven Deadly Sins v2 by Nakaba Suzuki - To save her kingdom, Princess Elizabeth has pinned her last hope on the infamous traitors, “The Seven Deadly Sins” and has set out on a journey with Meliodas—the Dragon Sin of Wrath—to seek out the rest of his fellow knights and former friends. Deep within an uninviting forest they find Diane, the Serpent Sin of Envy. Before they can celebrate their reunion, they must deal with an attack from Gilthunder, an electrifying Holy Knight!

9. Fairy Tail v2 by Hiro Mashima - Beautiful celestial wizard Lucy has teamed up with the crazy fire wizard Natsu and his bizarre flying cat, Happy. Their job: to steal a book from the notorious Duke Everlue. But the eccentric Everlue has killed wizards before, and Lucy’s team is walking right into his death trap!

10. Fairy Tail v3 by Hiro Mashima - The evil members of the Dark Guild Eisenwald have found a cursed flute that can murder anyone who hears its music–and now they’ve taken over a midtown train station with a very loud public address system. Only Natsu and his crazy friends (including a flying cat) can stop them!


November Wrap Up

1. Seven Deadly Sins v1 by Nakaba Suzuki - 5/5, I adored this manga. I had seen the anime a while ago and recently rewatched it and when I saw it on the shelf at Books-a-Million (my local BN is closed for repair after a tornado), I had to read it. I love how oblivious they all can be at certain moments. Like when Elizabeth asks him his name and he nonchalantly says "Meliodas" and is somehow goes in one ear and right back out the other that she was looking at that Meliodas. She didn't figure it out until she saw the tattoo on his shoulder. How silly can a person be?

2. Seven Deadly Sins v2 by Nakaba Suzuki - 5/5, Holy god. This one introduces my favorite character in the entire show. I love Ban the Undead. I have think it's his extremely arrogant nature, that just air of him knowing he's better than you that draws my attention to him. Anyway. I loved the way they introduced us to Diane and Ban. Elizabeth is getting a bit smarter, and we see just how powerful Meliodas is (currently). I am looking forward to reading the next few volumes in the series. 

3. Kiss Him, Not Me v2 by Junko - 5/5, I love the art and the series from what I watched on television not that long ago. She's just like me in that she ships boys together, real and fake, it was just perfect. I love how the story takes place after she starved herself pretty. That part was definitely unbelievable. There is no way starving oneself for six days is going to make one that pretty. Pretty enough that four boys will fight over her? I'm pretty sure that one is incredibly oblivious, too. He has no idea what's going on.

4. The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis - 4/5, my review from last year hasn't changed much at all since I read the book last year. Picked up the book as part of a read-along for the Dragon's Den Reading Group on Instagram and was just not into it this year around. Maybe it's knowing what I do now about the series and the way it ends that makes it different. I doubt I would read this again. 



December To-Be-Read

1) The Hunger Games by Susanne Collins
2) Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan
3) Queen of the Star Pirates by Stephen Landis
4) Dragonhaven by Robin McKinley 
5) The Sherlockian by Graham Moore
6) To All the Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han
7) A Court of Thrones and Roses by Sarah J Maas
8) A Conspiracy of Paper by David Liss
9) Ikigai by Yukari Mitsuhashi 
10) Journey to the West by Wu Cheng'en 
11) IT by Stephen King
12) The Original Illustrated Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle

I know I won't get to all (or likely even half) of this list, but even if I don't, that's still okay with me. I surpassed my total goal for the year so there's not really that much that I need to read. It's all for pleasure now. Maybe I'll start reading the ebooks again. 

With that, I conclude my Wrap Up & TBR list this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment