Wednesday, May 22, 2019

Currently Reading: 07 April to 22 May 2019

Currently Reading

- Best Gay Erotica v3 ed. by Rob Rosen (92%)
- Kane and Abel by Jeffery Archer (- Enigma: The Battle for the Code by Hugh Sebag-Montefiore (04%)
- Escaping From Houdini by Kerri Maniscalco (27%)
- Black Leopard Red Wolf by Marlon James (04%)
The Sophists by W.K.C. Guthrie (02%)
The Priory of the Orange Tree by Samantha Shannon (05%)
- IT by Stephen King (25%)
- Journey to the West by Wu Cheng'en (24%)

* * *

Black Leopard Red Wolf doesn't look like it's a 600-page book. I guess that also explains why it's just so heavy. They used the thin, though not quite bible-thin, pages for it. Yikes.

Sorry I fell off the planet again. Old interests suddenly sparked up again and I was invested very hard in it. I bought a book on a whim (Wicca by Harmony Nice) and all of a sudden I was falling back into the world of Wicca. I started my own Book of Shadows again, after I lost mine in a move. I bought more stuff, got into old joys that I used to have and generally forgot almost everything else. Now that I've finished it and I can focus myself on other things, I'm going to try getting back into my old routines.

I didn't read much in April this year. I also only made it to 15k in Camp NaNo April. Half of the goal. Oh well. I'll just have that particular goal not checked off. I wanted to win both Camps and regular NaNoWriMo. I guess that won't be happening this year.

I decided this recent week to work on an experiment while I was doing some other painted pages. I did The Devouring Gray by Christine Lynn Herman and How to Make Friends with the Dark by Katherine Glasgow. Then I wondered if I could do it with soft cover books, and if yes, how well would it work? With the exception of accidentally taping the final blank page of the book to the cover and ripping it, I did pretty well. I used Ready Player One by Ernest Cline, a paperback I was sure I could easily get another copy of just for the experiment.

I think it turned out well. I like the brightness of the orange on the side. From now on, I may start using paper to cover the inside of the book cover on soft covers. That was my mistake and I take full responsibility for it. Hehe. I should have known better.

Now that I've gotten back into that and soap-making (yeah, I'm a soaper, too), I think my days off from work and/or the mornings before I leave for work will be well filled. I can do creative arts projects with my books, make bookish themed soaps and read.

Got my hands on a book about WWII. It's still a favorite subject of mine. I don't know why. This one is about breaking the Navy Enigma Code used by U-Boats in the war. Why do I like this? I have no clue. I just know that I do. It's been a subject I've been interested in for a long time. This one looks interesting because it goes into more depth than just Alan Turing and Bletchley Park. It also covers the people who actually managed to recover the codebooks that were used.

No comments:

Post a Comment