Tuesday, December 3, 2019

Currently Reading: 14 November to 30 November 2019

Currently Reading

- The Weight of a Soul by Elizabeth Tammi (01%)
- Enigma by Hugh Sebag-Montefiore (18%)
- The Greek Way by Edith Hamilton (08%)
The Book Fix by Marydale Stewart (35%)
- The Priory of the Orange Tree by Samantha Shannon (37%)
Black Leopard Red Wolf by Marlon James (61%)
IT by Stephen King (40%)
Journey to the West by Wu Cheng'en (27%)
The Original Illustrated Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle (59%)

* * *

NaNoWriMo is in full swing, so you will have to give me leeway for not writing as often as I normally would. This month is just usually very busy and I'm already behind because of the broken computers. November is just  not my month it would seem. We are going up to replace the laptop(s) this weekend though. 

What else has been going on? I've cursed a friend of mine a few times. She kept trying to get me to read her copy of Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett. I kept putting it off, because of how many other books I have to read (literally hundreds). Then Amazon Prime went and made a mini series out of it that I watched. Now instead of reading the hundreds of books I own...I went out and bought a copy of Good Omens and I'm reading that instead. What is wrong with me?

I have come up with the preliminary lists of books I want to read in 2020. I am keeping each TBR list itself to 12 books. Why 12? I have no idea. 12 seemed like a good number. I realize I will actually have to choose another 12 to actually hit that golden 2-per-month thing that I wanted to do. Maybe these will just be the books for the first half of next year and I will choose another 12 in June for July-December? 

Anyway, here are the January-June lists:

PRINT
The Little Paris Bookshop by Nina George
The Bookshop on the Corner by Jenny Colgan
Ashes of Roses by M.J. Auch
Wicked Fox by Kat Cho
The Bookshop of Yesterdays by Amy Meyerson
An Enchantment of Ravens by Margret Rogerson
Fate of the Fallen by Kel Kade
The Family Upstairs by Lisa Jewell
The Night Tiger by Yangsze Choo
The Dragon's Legacy by Deborah A. Wolfe
Crown of Feathers by Nikki Pau Preto
The Poppy War by R.F. Kuang

DIGITAL
The Stone Gate by Mark Mann
A Study in Sable by Mercedes Lackey
Wayward by Wayne Wade
Revealing Revelations by Ric Nero
Sherlock Holmes and the Mystery of the Last Line by M. Pepper Langlinais
Alone by S.M. Perlow
Curse: The Return to Wexkia by Dale Furse
The Scent of Lies by Deborah Burroughs
The Spiral Arm by Peter Boland
The Book of Legend by T.J. Mayhew
Branded by Keary Taylor
Queen of Someday by Sherry D. Ficklin


A good list I think? These are all of the books I plan to read in the first half of 2020. For the digital list, I don't really chose based on my desire to read them. I use the RNG and my Digital tab from my Personal Library Catalog on my computer to pick the ones I will read. I figure since I randomly downloaded them, I should randomly choose. I can barely wait until I get to a few of them.

I feel like I should update you all on my progress for NaNoWriMo 2019. As of 11:45 on 11/23, I am sitting happily at 89,375/50,000. I already earned the "winner" badge from the site as well as a little like, certificate. I think that's much fun. So now I will just do whatever and add however many words I get to at the end of each day.

I gave up on She's My Dad by Jonathan S. Williams. I didn't like it at all. I posted my review already, so you can just see it there. There was too much of Jonathan's tale in the book and not enough of Paula or whatever. I don't remember the woman's name. I think it was Paula. Not really worried about it now. I'll just move on to my final two NetGalley arcs that I got.

There was a challenge posted the other day on BooksandTea called the "End-of-the-Year-Challenge" and I thought it would be interesting. The prompts are:

- Finish the book you're currently reading 
- Read a book you told everyone you would read this year
- Read a book you got in the first half of 2019
- Read a book you've had since 2018
- Read the oldest book on your TBR
- Read the newest book on your TBR
- Read the shortest book on your TBR.

These are the books (in the same order) that I have chosen:
good
- Escaping from Houdini by Kerri Maniscalco
- Forest of a Thousand Lanterns by Julie C. Dao
- The Book Jumper by Mechthild Glaser
- Rebel in the Sands by Alwyn Hamilton
- Paradise Lost by John Milton
- Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt
- Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck

I mean, I know I already had a ton of things to get through before the end of the year, but hey, I like to set impossible goals!! Let's see if I can get through these any better than I could get through the rest of the challenges I set for myself. I should be able to get through a good number of the books.

I had a brilliant idea based on someone else's idea that I will implement starting today (11/23). For each book I finish, I will put $20 into a savings account. So far I have added $20, to take care of the book I DNF'd today. I will count it as "read" so long as I made it at least 25% of the way into the book before I DNF it. I am basically paying myself to read. (If only one or both of my parents would match this, it would be epic. $40-$60 to read a book, also parents reading this: take note positive reinforcement....this will help!). Not sure yet what I plan to do with the money I will end up saving with this new scheme.

My coworkers have jokingly told me I should only save $2 per book, because of how little we get paid and my consumption of novels. They don't think I get paid enough to keep up $20 each. I'll see what happens. I know I'm not a particularly fast reader, so there isn't likely much way I will be able to fail at $20/book. So far this month, I would have only contributed $80.


No comments:

Post a Comment