Thursday, January 2, 2020

December 2019 Book Haul

#1: Red, White, & Royal Blue by Casey McQuiston – Of all the books that were available for December's Book of the Month club, I chose this one because it looked the most interesting, and I remembered hearing people talk about it during the earlier part of the year. I don't really remember what they had said about it, but I figured I would give it a shot. It can't be that bad....right?

#2: Charm School Outcasts by Jamie Hawke – I love My Hero Academia, and anime in general. This looks like the epic sort of read that I would enjoy. Plus, it was free. Who would turn down a free book that looks like something right up their alley? I want to get to this one sooner rather than later to really sink my teeth into the idea of super hero school and figure out what exactly it is that makes them outcasts and why is that one in the middle pink?

#3: Winter Cottage by Mary Ellen Taylor – I bought this entirely by accident. I had some index cards in my binder, and apparently that screws with the touch screen if the Kindle is in my pocket? Or something. I don't know how or when I actually managed to purchase it, but I did. It's sort of in line with a few other books I've purchased and I figure I will keep it and just hold on to it in case I need a read with winter in the title.

#4: Saint Bob Day by K.C. Wilson – The other book I purchased quite by accident. I didn't mean to. I know that I will probably sail right through this book, it's like 180 pages at best, but I don't remember actively touching the Kindle in order to buy it. The synopsis isn't helpful to tell me whatsoever with what it is about...we will take a leap and hope for the best.

#5: Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Peterson – I've seen the movie, it was sad. I still remember the bad scene and I hear it's worse than in the book. I hope that I can make it through this one quickly and not have to worry about what is going on.

#6: The Lost Causes of Bleak Creek by Rhett McLaughlin - I've been watching Good Mythical Morning for a long time and I have been enjoying it a lot. When I saw they had a book come out, I had to have it. It is a take on their own lives (sort of) growing up with a bit of a fantastical twist. I cannot wait to get into it.

#7: Dragonslayer by Duncan M. Hamilton - This was on the recommendation of a reader friend of mine, SV. I figured since it was cheap and I had a gift card to spend, I would pick this up. I have no idea what's it is about beyond probably dragons.

#8: A Mortal Song by Megan Crewe - She wrote another series that I read some of and was pretty okay with, but I'm obsessed with Asian culture and history so when I saw this one pretty cheap online I couldn't help myself and picked it up. I can't wait to see if it's as good as I think it will be. 

#9: The Dream Diaries by Becca C. Smith - Literally only bought it because I could afford it. It was one of the books in my wish list. This is about a woman (teen, I think? I can't recall) that has dreams about serial killers and helps the police with her dreams. Do not hold me to that, it's the best I can remember from the synopsis.

#10: Gideon the Ninth by Tamsyn Muir - I couldn't resist. I don't know why. We got gift cards for a Christmas "bonus" of sorts, and I immediately went and bought this. I finally (I think?) got over my hang-up about buying print books from Amazon. Now then, we shall see where in the neighborhood they leave it.

#11: A Bookshop in Berlin by Françoise Frenkel - My friends and I do a round robin Jolabokaflod where one of us will get for another, and then we keep it going in a chain. I got for EH, EH got for KS, and KS got for me (one day our clan may be bigger...). This was a lot of fun. This was the book that I was gifted. Ironic since Jolabokaflod itself came about during WWII when paper was a commodity.

#12: Big Thunder Mountain Railroad by Dennis Hopeless - KS gave me this when they finished with it. I'm assuming it wasn't that impressive to them, but I also assume it's a comic book based on a Disney theme park ride? I have no idea. It's a single issue comic book.

#13: Dracula by Bram Stoker - I had a copy of this many moons ago. It was an old mass market paperback version. Black and white with red font and Bella Lugosi on the cover. I'm pretty sure it also had movie photos in it. When I moved my room back upstairs to where it belongs, that particular edition went missing, so I bought it again.

#14: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs - I've already read this. I loved it. However, the copy I read was my uncle's. It was one of the few (very few) books he owned. I believe he owned/read a grand total of five books. I wanted to re-read these in preparation for acquiring and reading volumes four and five in the series.

#15: The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin - I don't really recall why I wanted this. Only that it was on my bookish wish list. I was giving myself a last hurrah of 2019 before the book buying restriction went into full effect for 2020. So we let ourselves have this book from our list.

#16: Pumpkinheads by Rainbow Rowell - I heard this was just super adorable. I saw it pretty cheap and figured I would give it a go. We will hope that we like it. It's going to be a lot of fun, I think. Maybe I'll save it for fall 2020 when it would be most seasonally appropriate.

#17: Winterwood by Shea Ernshaw - I have already purchased and read her other novel, The Wicked Deep, and I absolutely loved it. When I heard that she announced a new book, I knew I would need to get my hands on it. The second I saw it, I bought it. I cannot wait to get to it. I feel it may end up on the January 2020 To be Read list.

#18: Dear Girls by Ali Wong - I thought I would broaden my reading horizons and pick up a memoir or two. Really ought to start adding more nonfiction to my reading list in 2020. Decided I am going to start with memoirs from the Goodreads Best of 2019 list. There's a reason they were voted the best in their categories.

#19: Girl, Stop Apologizing by Rachel Hollis - This falls in the same category as the book before it on this list. Memoir from Goodreads Best of 2019. Do I recall offhand which category this one was in? Of course not. Will that stop me from reading it and hopefully gleaning some useful information from it? Nope!

#20: The Cruel Prince by Holly Black - The 2019 Best YA book was The Wicked King, so I grabbed this because I haven't read any of the series yet. Everyone is talking about the series finale, The Queen of Nothing, and I'm only just now buying the first book. I get let down a lot by overhyped books, so I'm hoping that this one doesn't do that to me.

#21: The Silent Patient by Alex Michaelides - No idea. Thought it looked interesting and it was another from the best of list. I don't remember what category it was in, thriller I think. I know people were talking about it a lot recently, so I will give it a try.

#22: The Institute by Stephen King - The winner for the horror section. I remember this much. My mom loves Stephen King and I've been fascinated by the books of his I did read. I'm looking forward to reading this one and seeing what all the hype is about.

#23: Ninth House by Leigh Bardugo - It's got magic, secret societies, and I may have been influenced by the fact the snake on the cover looks like Crowley's face tattoo thing in Good Omens...I really want to read it, but it's my first Bardugo book, and I am justifiably nervous about it. If I don't like this, when she's had time to perfect her craft, I really won't want to go back and read her other books.

#24: Supernova by Marissa Meyer - Finally completed the series in ownership. Now I just have to read the second and third books. I read Renegades a while ago and have Archenemies on my bookcase ready to be read. Let's see if we can finish the series in 2020. 

No comments:

Post a Comment