Saturday, December 23, 2017

Friday Reads: December 02 to December 22 2017

Currently Reading


- Peony by Pearl S. Buck
- The Three Daughters of Madame Liang by Pearl S. Buck
- The Jungle Books v2 by Rudyard Kipling (30%)
- Ulysses by James Joyce (05%)
From Holmes to Sherlock by Mattias Bostrom (01%)
Dragon Seed by Pearl S. Buck (47%)
The Mortifications by Derek Palacio (05%)
Slaughter: Origin Story by James Beltz (60%)
- Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen (37%)
Les Miserables by Victor Hugo (15%)
The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern (24%)
Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe (15%)
- To the Letter by Simon Garfield (51%)
Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke (19%)
The Original Illustrated Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (24%)


* * *


I am aware that I forgot to write much this last few weeks. Christmas shopping is a killer. I am sorry about that. I have been forgetting for a bit now. I'll go back through my journal and see if there's anything that I can post for you. I was working on my 2018 Bookish Resolutions. I'll post those for the time: 

1. Meet/exceed my Goodreads goal for the year – This year I decided to keep it somewhat simple and set my goal for only 50 books. Something I'm sure I can reach and I will feel great when I read over the goal. Anything more is almost beyond my capabilities as a reader at the level I currently am at.

2. Review all of the books that I read – I had this same goal last year and I think I nearly got 100% completion on it. I realized that I didn't actually post my review for a few books, but it was in my own personal blog, so I count it.

3. Read Les Misérables by Victor Hugo – I sorted it out, in a comment to be seen later on in the entry, that if I read 308.25 pages per quarter from 1 January forward, I should finish the book on or near 31 December.

4. Enter and win Camp NaNo and NaNoWriMo – Yeah this is a difficult challenge to meet since I will have a job by then and my time set to write will be going down. That's okay, we can still do it if we actually plan it out a little bit. I planned 2015's and I won with 57,000.


I also came up with the 24 books I want to read in 2018. These do not have to all be read in the order they appear in, or even completed. It's just something that I thought of that I thought would be fun to try to accomplish. 

Daughters Unto Devils by Amy Lukavics
Butcher Bird by Richard Kadrey
How to Hang a Witch by Adriana Mather
Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas
With Malice by Eileen Cook
Critical Failure by Robert Bevan
Hunting Prince Dracula by Kerri Maniscalco
The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken
The Mortifications by Derek Palacio
Butterfly's Child by Angela Davis-Gardner
Vanity Fair by William Makepeace Thackery
Villette by Charlotte Brontë
Les Misérables by Victor Hugo
The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides
The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris
The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins
The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway
Horns by Joe Hill
12 Years a Slave by Solomon Northup
Grasshopper Jungle by Andrew Smith
Where Things Come Back by John Corey Whaley
Me Before You by Jojo Moyes
Out of the Easy by Ruta Sepetys

I think most if not all of these books are manageable for 2018. 

No comments:

Post a Comment