Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Friday Reads: December 23 to December 29 2017

Currently Reading

- Journey to the West by Wu Cheng'en (01%)
- My Friend Flicka by Mary O'Hara (08%)
- Peony by Pearl S. Buck (31%)
Ulysses by James Joyce (05%)
From Holmes to Sherlock by Mattias Bostrom (13%)
Dragon Seed by Pearl S. Buck (47%)
The Mortifications by Derek Palacio (05%)
Slaughter: Origin Story by James Beltz (60%)
- Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen (37%)
Les Miserables by Victor Hugo (15%)
The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern (24%)
Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe (15%)
- To the Letter by Simon Garfield (51%)
Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke (19%)
The Original Illustrated Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (24%)

* * *

I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday and that you'll all have a happy New Year. This time I actually have a moderately good Friday Reads for you. Since it was the week of Christmas and my family celebrates, I had some books on my list. The two that I wanted the most were My Friend Flicka by Mary O'Hara and Journey to the West by Wu Cheng'en. I have received them both. I made a mistake a little. I thought that each of the four volumes of Journey to the West would have it's own page count and count as it's own book. Yeah, no. This comes in at a mind-boggling 2,346 pages long. 

It could be worse. I could be reading that one study Bible that has 3000+ incredibly thin (think like rice paper thin) pages. It's that huge. I am excited to read it though. I've already started. Not that you could probably tell, but I'm actually decently far into it. It's very good so far. I love it. Sun Wukong (Monkey Awakened to Emptiness) is actually an interesting character. He's very intelligent, able to commit things to memory only having heard them once. I sort of understand why he's there in the first place. He plans to teach the Way of immortality he learns to his monkeys when he gets home, though shouldn't they be immortal already 

No comments:

Post a Comment