Saturday, June 6, 2020

Currently Reading: 18 to 30 May 2020

Currently Reading

- The Hazel Wood by Melissa Albert (19%)
- Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy (07%)
The Sound of Stars by Alechia Dow (52%)
-  IT by Stephen King (40%)
Journey to the West by Wu Cheng'en (39%)
The Original Illustrated Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle (59%)


* * *

I am quite proud of myself. I guess, technically I am quite proud of dad, but the sentiment remains. We did it. Saturday morning (the 23rd) we put in the flooring, repaired the part of the wall we damaged, added a stuff and junk shelf, and put the curtains back up. My library is effectively finished. A little touch here (table) and there (rug under said table) will complete it and I will not have to do any more work on the library. I even put my Belle plaque up. It's right inside the door. I am quite proud of myself for having everything finished. 

Naturally since I got done, I took the children down to see it. They are impressed by the library though I do not understand why. Regardless, my niece asked me a very interesting question: "Dodo, how many books do you have?" Of course, I then had to count. I couldn't not tell her. So, barring anything that does not belong to me or is not in the room at the moment (I cannot remember if I lent anything out or left it in another room) I have 1,625 books that I personally own.

Since this will be going up right before June, I am going to share something. I'm participating in another readathon. The Calling from the Discord group Axis Libri and it looks amazing. There are six "lands" you can choose from: Sun, Moon, Earth, Water, Fire, or Air. I'm in the Air Land myself. Go Anemoi! Anyway, there are a total of 8 challenges for the readathon. 3 Main and 5 Extra. You are encouraged to try to make your 3 main challenges first before the 5 extra or bonus challenges, as follows:


MAIN
(1) Knowing Your Land: Read a book with the color of your land on it.
 - Sun: Yellow/Gold
 - Moon: Purple/Silver
 - Earth: Green/Brown
 - Air: White
 - Fire: Red/Orange
 - Water: Blue
(2) Finding Your Land: Read a book featuring a map.
(3) First Classes: Read a book you know nothing about.

EXTRA
(4) Unpack Your Bags: Read a book while doing exercise
(5) Get a Pet: Read a book with your favorite animal on the cover or in the story.
(6) Take a nap: Read a short book.
(7) Legends & Myths: Read a retelling.
(8) The Ball: Read a book with a ball scene or a ball gown on the cover.

I think it's a fun challenge and I cannot wait to participate in it. I already have my TBR mostly sorted out. I'm waffling between two for one of the extra prompts. My favorite animal is an owl. I have a whole series of books where each and every one has an owl on it, the Guardians of Ga'Hoole series by Katheryn Lasky. Then I also have The Midnight Queen by Sylvia Izzo Hunter, which also has an owl on the cover that I just bought that I want to read. 

Huh. Been a while since my Currently Reading has been that low. I'm more than halfway through The Sound of Stars by Alechia Dow, so I should be able to get at least six, maybe seven books done for May. Pretty good. I have been reading a lot more than normal with the fact that we have been stuck indoors and that I now have a little library hidey hole. 

No comments:

Post a Comment