Saturday, December 4, 2021

Currently Reading: 28 November to 04 December 2021

 Currently Reading

Legacy of Ash by Matthew Ward (10%)
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time by Yasutaka Tsutsui (21%)
- The Maidens by Alex Michaelides (07%)
- Ready Player One by Ernest Cline (05%)

* * *
Yearly Goal

87/100
* * *

Somehow I don't want to think I've read 11 books in a week, but then I went hog wild with manga and I read a few standard novels, so it's entirely possible that I did read 11 in a week. I read like 6 on Monday alone. I am proud of myself for actually getting so far in such a short amount of time. I'm only behind by six books now! I can totally make that up at my current reading speed. 

Not sure if I mentioned this before now, but NaNoWriMo was definitely a flop this year. I think I got about 19k words before the end of the month? I don't even remember. I know I got a good start on like character profiles and stuff, and the background plot, but then it just sort of died. I will continue working on my idea in December though, so that's good. Maybe I'll finish filling out all the character profiles and stop adding more characters. I think I'm up to 43 that need descriptions? I don't remember. 

I found a new reading challenge that I'm going to take part in in December: 2021 Shelf Space Reindeer Games.


I know it's a bit hard to read, but they are doing a bingo board. For each bingo you get, you are entered to win an Amazon gift card. I don't recall how much it's worth, nor do I particularly care. This will definitely help me to just spur my reading and maybe hit my upped goal of 100 books. As I said earlier, I'm only down by 6 now. 

So far I've taken out 3 of the prompts. I'm on track to hit a 4th today. I've already completed "What Child Is This?", "Fifty Shades of Sleigh", and "The Solstice Approaches". If I keep up the pace after I'm done with my blog post, I'll be able to knock "Feliz Navidad" off the list as well, as I'm reading a rather short book that was originally published in Japanese. Here are the prompts and the books I've chosen for each one: 

  • White Christmas: Lore by Alexandra Bracken

  • Taming of the Scrooge: Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck

  • Oh, Tannenbaum: Forest of a Thousand Lanterns by Julie C. Dao

  • We Three Kings: Legacy of Ash by Matthew Ward

  • Jingle Bells: The Wolf of Oren-Yaro by K.S. Villoso

  • Feliz Navidad: The Girl Who Leapt Through Time by Yasutaka Tsutsui

  • Do You Even Dreidel, Bro: Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

  • A Long Winter’s Night: An Echo of Things to Come by James Islington 

  • All I Want for Christmas: Mo Dao Zu Shi by Mo Xiang Tong Xiu

  • Chestnuts Roasting on the Open Fire: The Bookshop on the Corner by Jenny Colgan

  • Remember, Remember: Enchantée by Gita Trelease

  • Not the Gumdrop Buttons!: Edie in Between by Laura Sibson 

  • Tis the Season: Kings of the Wyld by Nicholas Eames

  • What Child is This?: The Reptile Room by Lemony Snicket

  • Snow Miser: The Fifth Season by N.K. Jemisin

  • Nightmare Before Christmas: The Maidens by Alex Michaelides 

  • First Noel: The Boneshard Daughter by Andrea Stewart

  • Merry Christmas, Ya Filthy Animal: Steelheart by Brandon Sanderson

  • Celebrate Around the World: Star Daughter by Shveta Thakrar

  • Fifty Shades of Sleigh: Lore Olympus by Rachel Smythe

  • Christmas in July: Beautiful Ruins by Jess Walter

  • The Solstice Approaches: Year of the Witching by Alexis Henderson

  • Festivus: Ariadne by Jennifer Saint

  • Light a Hanukkah Candle: Fire Keeper's Daughter by Angeline Boully

  • Last Christmas: Blood of Elves by Andrzej Sapkowski 


Not exactly a fully manageable list, but definitely not that terrible. I can get through a decent number of them before the month is out and I can put a few on my TBR for January then. 

I'm still going with the first version of a TBR I had thought of, too. 6 total, 3-2-1. 3 physical, 2 digital, 1 audio. That seems like the best for me as far as planned TBR goals go. I will always allow myself to read outside of it, but I want to try to aim for structure! I even dug my Kindle out from under my bed to charge and use again (especially at work). 

I guess that's it for now. I will see you all again next weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment