Saturday, December 4, 2021

November 2021 Book Haul & Wrap Up

So far so good. I think right now November is my best month in the back half of the year. I've been reading a little more than I usually would. I'm also keeping myself accountable!!


Haul: 3

1) Keeper of the Night by Kylie Lee Baker - When I read the description (and shared it with friends), it was agreed that this book sounded very much like Bleach fanfiction. I needed it. I absolutely was enamored with the art and the synopsis and had to add it to my collection of books. 

2) Legacy of Ash by Matthew Ward - Do I have any idea why I wanted this? Nope. None at all. I saw it when I was browsing the fantasy section and the synopsis kind of just struck me. We follow a few different POVs of people who are either out to keep the status quo or to turn it on its head. I'm not sure yet who I root for more (I'm only just now on page 81/780). 

3) Heartstopper #1 by Alice Oseman - I've been hearing about this for a while, but hadn't gotten a copy of it until now. I wasn't sure how I'd feel about it. It started as a webcomic, which I'm admittedly terrible at keeping up with. I'll get distracted by other interests and just sort of forget. I always look forward to when one I'm interested in is suddenly printed as a graphic novel. 


Wrap Up: 13

1) Servamp #1 by Strike Tanaka - Purchased on a whim from a friend of mine back in...uh, probably somewhere near April (before I moved), I finally got around to actually reading this series. Or at least as much of it as I own. We follow Shirota Mahiru after he finds and "adopts" this little black cat. Turns out that cat is a type of vampire known as a Servant Vampire, or Servamp for short. Because Mahiru gave him something and named him, he is now the master of that particular Servamp. I loved the way it was told. It was interesting reading about this kind of vampire and the powers they have. 

2) Servamp #2 by Strike Tanaka - In this volume, we meet Tsubaki, who for all the world just looks like an evil Shigure Sohma to me? Though I'm sure had I read Servamp first, Shigure would look like Tsubaki. Anyways, we get a lot more to go on in this one than in the others. Still definitely good reading and worth it for the storyline. 

3) Servamp #3 by Strike Tanaka - Not really saying much more about the plot from here on out, because you will kind of need to start at the beginning to know what's going on. It was pretty good. The plot thickened. I did start to struggle a little here, not wanting to continue with a lack of excitement going on. I powered through, though!

4) Keeper of the Night by Kylie Lee Baker - Definitely worth the read. I loved it. Following Ren on a harrowing journey with her brother was just the book I needed to get me moving on my own reading. It actually spurred me into reading well, as many books as I did. I was impressed by her resolve and loved how she just kept going despite the threat almost everyone posed to her. I will be keeping my eye out for more books by Ms. Baker in the future. 

5) Lifestyles of Gods and Monsters by Emily Roberson - This one was...interesting. I wasn't sure what to expect with the title, but I was pleasantly surprised. It wasn't at all bad. Not exactly what I thought it would be though. Imagine the story of Theseus, only told in modern times. It was worth the read. I think I read it for a readathon, but for the life of me, I cannot remember what readathon it was. I enjoyed seeing the world through the eyes of Ariadne instead of through Theseus. I think it was a unique spin to the legend of the Minotaur and it definitely is going on my favorites of the year. 

6) Heartstopper #1 by Alice Oseman - It was beautiful. I naturally have already forgotten all of their names. Nick and Charlie are the main protagonists and I loved their development and slow burn kind of romance. I felt bad that Charlie was being pressured by what's his face, but I'm definitely glad it worked out in the end. Charlie deserves better. 

7) Servamp #4 by Strike Tanaka - It took me a bit to get to this one. I think I was getting a little burnt out on reading manga, but I powered through. We get more history on other places and people and it was good. I rather enjoyed it once I passed the halfway point. 

8) Servamp #5 by Strike Tanaka - I don't know what to say. I liked it, but I don't want to spoil it.

9) Servamp #6 by Strike Tanaka - I don't know what to say. I liked it, but I don't want to spoil it.

10) Servamp #7 by Strike Tanaka - I don't know what to say. I liked it, but I don't want to spoil it.

11) Servamp #8 by Strike Tanaka - I don't know what to say. I liked it, but I don't want to spoil it.

12) Servamp #9 by Strike Tanaka - I don't know what to say. I liked it, but I don't want to spoil it. (This is what happens when I don't review them as I finish them. I have no idea what to say about the books!)

13) Servamp #10 by Strike Tanaka - The final volume I happen to possess of this manga series at the moment. I cannot get into much in the way of detail for spoiling it. It was definitely good and I am definitely going to be going right to the manga section of my local bookstores to see if I can find #11 to see what happens with Mahiru and the others. I need to know!!

No comments:

Post a Comment