Thursday, June 4, 2015

Review: A Date with the Devil by Kira Adams

This novel was published by Kira Adams in 2015 and I was given a copy in return for an honest review. 

I rated this book 5/5 stars. There was not a single moment that I could think of where I did not connect in some way with the characters. I almost felt everything they did right along with them.

Bryce has spent the last year of her life in hiding. Fearing that her ex-boyfriend will come back to finish the job he'd started, and kill her. She is terrified of even going to her front door.

With the help of a friend, she makes it outside for the first time. Bryce finds it easy now that she has actually started going out. No one has seen Robbie in the year she has spent hiding in her house, so she braves going out on her own. She gains more confidence as she spends more time out on her own.

Things go south when she sees Robbie in the restroom of a local bar on Halloween. All of her original fears come back and she tries to revert back to staying locked up in her room away from everything she thinks can hurt her. It doesn't help that when Robbie first hurt her, he'd burned her body to the point where she believes no one will ever love her again because of the way she looks.

When she hears of her friend Tyson, the boy who saved her from Robbie, being shot in the doorway of his own home, she goes to see him. After a quick visit, she goes to get him clothes and his iPod from his house. Robbie is waiting. He abducts her and takes her to the basement of their old house where he plans to keep her forever or kill her. If he can't have her, no one will. He goes so far as to kill the people who live in the house when he abducts her. In a fit of self-defense, Bryce kills him.

The entire book is told through first-person with Bryce as the story teller. I couldn't help but feel for her when she talked about the paralyzing fear that kept her inside. It wasn't that she didn't want to go outside. It was that she couldn't do it. She wanted to go outside and move on with her life more than anything else in the world, but post-traumatic stress was keeping her in.

I connected more with Tyson than with Bryce. I personally have never gone through anything that made me want to hide or think any less of myself. However, I do have a few friends who have anxiety disorders and it's difficult. I understand how he felt when he told Bryce he couldn't wait much longer. It's frustrating seeing that paralyzing anxiety happening to someone you love, and being absolutely powerless to stop it or help them.

I loved the way the book wrapped up. There was no way she was going to go through all of that and not come out on top. It was written well enough that I felt satisfied with how it ended, but that might just be my love of crime dramas coming though.

I didn't read the last part of the book, which was (I think) and entire short story from another author based on another series that I'd never heard of in the first place. So, there was that. They should warn you that stuff like that will be in the book. Overall, I loved it and am probably going to read it again later.

No comments:

Post a Comment