Sunday, February 14, 2016

The Great British Bake-Off Book Tag

Like normal, I found this tag on Booktube. Being that I don't record videos I decided to do this tag on my blog. I love tags and finding out the various things that I actually think about books. Naturally, I've forgotten the name of the channel that I saw this on. I should start writing that down I think....on to the tag!

1. Cake: The cake has sunk in the middle. Pick a book that didn't rise to your expectations.

I have nothing. I have no idea of any books that I can think of that didn't rise to my expectations. I try not to actually have expectations when it comes to books. I want to be surprised and have things happen that I did not expect at all.

2. Biscuits: Once you've eaten one, you're hungry for more and each time you eat another they get more delicious. Pick a book series/trilogy that got progressively better.

Hmm....I'm tempted to go with the Percy Jackson books. I haven't read that many that are in a series or a trilogy. The only sets I can even think of are The Lord of the Rings, which I didn't finish....Harry Potter, which I didn't finish, and Percy Jackson...that I finished. This means I will just sort of have to go with Percy Jackson. It's the only book set that even fits the question that I've read the entire thing.

3. Bread: Kneading dough requires hard work and determination. Pick a book that you put off for ages and needed a lot of determination to pick up.

For this one I have to go with The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexander Dumas. I tried to read this last spring and actually put it down because it was halfway through summer and I still wasn't done with it. I got frustrated and DNF'd it. This year I thought I would give it another go because I want to read it. I've seen the movies and I want to know the original story.

4. Desserts: Foreign desserts such as creme brulee and Spanische Windtorte are on the menu. Pick a book set in a foreign country.

The only book I am even capable of thinking of right now is Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. It's the one that sticks out the most in my mind even though I've read many books that were not set in the United States. I'm sure there are others I've read, I just can't actually think of them right now.

5. Alternative ingredients: Not usually used, but surprisingly good. Pick a book from a genre you wouldn't normally read, but ended up loving.

I don't like most contemporary books. Especially contemporary romance. It just is not my scene at all. So I was pleasantly surprised when I picked up Over the Ivy Wall by Rosa Sophia. It falls under a contemporary romance because it's love that actually frees the MFC from her "prison" of sorts and it was a well-written story and it very nearly made me cry.

6. Pastry: Shortcrust pastry can crumble easily. Pick a character you initially liked, but as you read more and more, your relationship with them crumbled apart.

I have no idea. Hmm...I really don't. I don't get particularly attached to characters in books. The default answer would of course be Professor Snape from the Harry Potter series, but I feel like that's kind of a cop out because everybody started to not like him. I might actually have to think about this and do another blog post with just this question.

7. Victorian/Old-Fashioned Bakes: Recipes from the past that still taste delicious today. Pick your favorite classic novel.

I have to pick Pride and Prejudice again here. I read it in four days. I had never read anything that quickly before. My dad had bought my sister and I the Dalmatian Press Classic Library sets that are almost entirely unaltered from their original manuscript forms. I got the Charles Dickens and my sister got the Famous Romances. Dad did not take into consideration that the only books my sister had read up until then were the ones she had to for school. I ended up with all twelve books. I decided to read Ms. Austen's book over the summer, thinking that I would do what I usually did and take weeks to read it. I sat out on the porch in our couch and was entirely absorbed for more than eight hours at a time. Finished it in four days.

8. Patisserie: You're eating a chocolate eclair, but there's barely any filling inside. Pick a book that lacked substance and fell apart.



I can only come up with one book here. Order of the Dimensions by Irene Helenowski. It was pitched so much better than it actually was. I was lead to believe it was going to be some fantastic sci-fi/fantasy book and it was just such a flop that I rated it one star and can't even read the rest of the series. It was just...terrible, and I hate to say it but I can't lie and say that I liked any part of it.

9. Chocolate: Chocolate is a comfort food for many people. Pick a book you could read again and again and still find comforting.

This for me would have to be Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden. I've read it already at least two times that I remember, and I'll probably read it many many more. I've always loved Japanese culture and I saw my copy (an old, crappy, falling apart mass market with the movie tie-in cover) at Barnes & Noble and bought it immediately despite my needing to use the money for other things. I love it. I feel like if Sayuri can make it, even with all the struggles she has to face...then I can make it, too, with my much less terrible situations.

10. The Grand Final: Everyone is out to impress with extravagant show-stoppers! Pick your favorite book of the year so far that really impressed you.

The Alchemyst by Michael Scott. I've only read eight books so far this year and of that five of them are Harry Potter novels which I am not counting for this. I had to pick among three. The one I liked most of those three, The Alchemyst takes the figurative cake. It's basically the tale of Nicholas Flamel and his wife, Perenelle, in the modern world. It's a middle-grade book I think, but it's still VERY worth it to read. I loved it very much. There is a bit more of a review in my January Wrap-Up.

No comments:

Post a Comment