Thursday, April 13, 2017

Buying Habits Book Tag

I love doing various book tags, and I found this one that I thought would be really interesting. The Book Buying Habits Tag. Even though it goes by a different name on the web. I saw it from [insert channel here] and I thought I'd give it a go. Are we ready?



1. Where do you buy your books from?

I get them from wherever I can. Book stores, online, library sales. It doesn't matter to me. I will pick them up when I get the chance. The most common is BookOutlet and yard sales. 

2. Do you ever pre-order books?

Not really? I don't remember having pre-ordered any books. The closest I can think of is the day that I put a book on hold at the library because I wanted to read it, but it was already checked out. Beside that, I don't really do the whole pre-order thing.

3. If so, do you do it in-store or online?

See above. I don't pre-order books. 

4. Do you use your local library?

All the time. Just about every third Friday we take my niece out to our local library. We each pick out a few books we want and then we read them or spend time meandering around the shelves. I think she likes it as much as I do. The most recent time we were there, she screamed because we didn't get to stay very long.

5. If so, how many books can you borrow at a time?

As I strictly limit myself to no more than four books at a time, I have no idea what the maximum you can borrow is. It's probably ten to fifteen? I don't know. 

6. What is your opinion on library books?

I love them. It lets me read newer books that a poor, sort of unemployed (I have a job, I'm just on a pay hold for now) person like me can't afford to get. Of course my own library is tiny and has a very slim selection of new books, but that's okay.

7. How do you feel about charity shops and second-hand books?

Considering where I live, I don't think we have proper charity shops. We have a lot of second-hand and new-and-used places. I like them well. I try to pick up my books from the library sale room when I can because it helps them with whatever bills they have to pay. I enjoy second hand books, especially the ones that have someone's notes in them from when they were reading. I like looking at them and wondering if it was for a class or just something they wanted to remember.

8. Do you keep your read and TBR pile together on the same shelf or not?

I keep them all together. I can just check Goodreads or my reading journal to see which books I've finished already and then which ones I need to read. Otherwise my shelves would be bare. I have more unread than read. 

9. Do you plan to read all of the books that you own?

That is the goal. It's very unlikely to happen with my Kindle having more than a thousand 300+ page books on it. I would have to read 100 pages a day for 30 years to come even remotely close to finishing them all. Pending I don't actually acquire any new books between now and 30 years from now. 

10. What do you do with books you own that you feel you will never read or felt you did not enjoy?

I don't know? I typically only buy books that I think I'm going to read. There are a few that a friend's mother gave me that I'm not sure about, but I'm happy to give them a try. In fact, I will have to go through them to see if any are 100+ years old for the challenge I'm going to put on the blog.

11, Have you ever donated books?

Yeah. I donate books to places like Goodwill all the time. My library is not accepting donations, and I don't really have a local Salvation Army that has the room to accept new books. The only one near me is in a storefront and has hardly any book shelves anyway. I buy more than I donate to them.

12. Have you ever been on a book buying ban?

A failed one. I tried to put myself on a ban, and realized that wasn't going to work. Then I tried to put myself on a book buying limit and that didn't really work either. I figure since I'm getting mostly eBooks, I don't need to worry about it. I rarely get print books. Generally that is only in the summer when I go to yard sales or holidays where people buy things for me.


13. Do you ever feel that you have too many books?

Do I feel that I have too many books? No. Do I know that I have too many? Oh hell yes. I know that the, what was it, three....four....cardboard boxes in my "library" (it's a work-in-progress) are way more than I need. But that won't stop me from getting them. I made myself a deal a while ago that I plan to stick to!

No comments:

Post a Comment