Friday, April 21, 2017

Friday Reads: 15 to 21 April

Currently Reading

- Dark Matter by Blake Crouch (01%)
- The Best American Mystery Stories of the Century ed. by Tony Hillerman (01%)
- Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan (10%)
- Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe (13%)
The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. Tolkien (02%)
The Witching Hour by Anne Rice (03%)
Persuasion by Jane Austen (30%)
- To the Letter by Simon Garfield (24%)
The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead (50%)
A Study in Charlotte by Brittany Cavallaro (58%)
Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke (14%)
The Clouded Sky by Megan Crewe (37%)
The Original Illustrated Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (17%)
The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas (71%)



* * *


One of the books I've been wanting for a while came in recently came in. And it's so new, you can't really add it on Goodreads. It just comes up as "I'm on page 5." not out of how many and it doesn't give you the percentage bar for how much of it you've finished. The book, if you're wondering, and I mean why would you, is Dark Matter by Blake Crouch. The edition that I have is the new red on black one that's not even coming out until May. I like the cover design for this edition than the others. This one actually has a picture in the background instead of flat red.

Let's see. I realized on Wednesday that I shouldn't have checked Uncle Tom's Cabin out from the library. I have a copy. That I'm pretty sure I even bought this year. Actually no. I bought it in December in the book haul I never showed you because I couldn't remember what all I bought then. Haha no wonder. Anyway, I've switched my reading over to the copy that I happen to have because I think it's prettier than the one that the library had.

What else? I've tallied up the number of pages that are contained within my currently reading. 7,645 pages total just in my currently reading list. I'm also 10 books behind in my reading goal for the year. By now I should have hit 18 and I've hit 8. When we're not playing this weekend, I will be reading. Time to spend a week crushing that goal!! I've set aside the entire week of the 23rd for this. Whenever I am not working or doing chores, I will read and hopefully get closer to on schedule. This time last year I was blowing the reading challenge out of the water. Oh well. 

I've yet to pick the books I'm taking for the weekend. I'm thinking about Persuasion and Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore. If I finish both (by whatever miracle that happens to be) I will work on my Kindle books. I don't know why I don't read them very much any more. I used to read a lot. I think I'll go back to the old reading/writing schedule.

08:00-08:45 - Breakfast.
09:00-10:00 - Reading on Kindle
10:15-10:45 - Lunch
11:00-14:00 - Work/Writing (work if scheduled, writing if not)
14:20-15:45 - Reading

16:00-20:30 - Work/Writing (work if scheduled, writing if not)

21:00-23:00 - Reading.

A somewhat reasonable schedule I think. And yes, I prefer the 24-hour clock over the 12-hour. I don't know why that is. This will go all but next week. As it will be:

08:00-08:45 - Breakfast.
09:00-10:00 - Reading on Kindle
10:15-10:45 - Lunch
11:00-14:00 - Work/Reading (work if scheduled, readingif not)
14:20-15:45 - Reading

16:00-20:30 - Work/Reading (work if scheduled, reading if not)
21:00-23:00 - Reading.

For now though, I will bid you all adieu, and actually get cracking on my reading for the next week. Let's hope I can get through at least.....four of the books. It's asking a lot, but I think I can manage it. Until next Friday, goodbye!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment