Friday, September 8, 2017

Friday Reads: 02 September to 08 September 2017

Currently Reading


The Hundred Secret Senses by Amy Tan (18%)
Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel García Márquez (23%)
The Fortune Hunter by Daisy Goodwin (02%)
Contemporary Japanese Textbook (1) by Eriko Sato (01%)
Slaughter: Origin Story by James Beltz (13%)
- Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen (37%)
Les Miserables by Victor Hugo (15%)
The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern (19%)
Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe (15%)
- To the Letter by Simon Garfield (51%)
Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke (19%)
The Original Illustrated Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (24%)


* * *


I've finished 5/8 of my library books before they were due. I decided to switch from the physical library edition of Mansfield Park to the Kindle, because the physical edition is actually falling apart. I'll have to remember to tell the librarian about that on Tuesday when I drop off the books. I think it's about time that edition of that book is removed from the shelves or they won't get it back in one piece. 

I've been thinking about pausing my last two library books until after I renew them on Tuesday. I don't think I would finish them before they are due, and I'm debating continuing them now and getting close to the end goal before I have to return/renew them. It's still up in the air. I have four days (library doesn't actually open until 2 on Tuesdays) to get further in them. Maybe I'll do a coin toss or something. I'm not worried either way. I know I'm renewing them.

I found a book nearly as old as my grandma and I've begun reading it. Dragon Seed by Pearl S. Buck, yes, the famous lady who wrote The Good Earth. Which I have never read. This is my first Buck book. I think the way that Ling Tan's son Lao Tan described impregnating his wife to his brother Lao Er was funny. He likens it to planting rice seedlings. You have to do it multiple times for it to catch. Then Ling Sao got peed on by her grandson and I thought it was brilliant. You'd think they have cloth diapers in China in the 1940s....in a city....but apparently not. Apparently you just hold a towel or rag against the child for them to "release their water" onto...? Bizarre!

I've placed my next BookOutlet order this Friday. It takes roughly a week and a half for the box to arrive and my birthday is two weeks out from today. So the box would arrive near(ish) to my birthday. I ordered 15 new books to arrive in 6-10 business days....so it will arrive some time two weeks from now.

What else....not much else has happened here recently that's really worth putting on a bookish blog. So I guess for now, we will close. See you next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment