Friday, December 1, 2017

November 2017 Book Haul

Yeah, I picked up so many books and forgot to mark them down in the last two months, probably 100+, and I just don't remember which ones I got and which one I didn't. So, instead, we're just going to move on and write up November's instead. Sorry about skipping September and October. I know I got 46 books in September and probably an equal or greater amount in October.

On to the books that I bought/borrowed/acquired in November:


Book #1: The Jungle Book (vol. 1) by Rudyard Kipling


Set in faraway India and the Aleutians, the animals and humans who inhabit Kipling's Jungle Books have been children's favorites for generations. Book I introduces the black panther Bagheera, the lame and evil tiger Shere Khan, the rock python Kaa, the brown bear Baloo who teaches the wolf cubs the Law of the Jungle, the man cub Mowgli who lives with the wolves, Toomai of the elephants, and many others. Though the stories and characters are exotic, the themes they address are universal ones: courage, loyalty, and adventure. Stories include: "Mowgli's Brothers," "Kaa's Hunting," "Tiger-Tiger!", "The White Seal," "Rikki-Tikki-Tavi," "Toomai of the Elephants," and "Servants of the Queen."

I have always wanted to read the original stories. Of course I only just now read the synopsis on Goodreads to realize that my favorite story ever from when I was a child, Rikki-Tikki-Tavi, a tale of a mongoose, is part of the Jungle Book. How did I not know this? We have the Children's Classic Library set and that was the story I picked every single time it was my turn. I think the story that I love is in the second volume, but that's okay.


Book #2: The Fifth Petal by Brunonia Barry

When a teenage boy dies suspiciously on Halloween night, Salem's chief of police, John Rafferty wonders if there is a connection between his death and Salem’s most notorious cold case, a triple homicide dubbed "The Goddess Murders," in which three young women, all descended from accused Salem witches, were slashed on Halloween night in 1989. He finds unexpected help in Callie Cahill, the daughter of one of the victims newly returned to town. Neither believes that the main suspect, Rose Whelan, respected local historian, is guilty of murder or witchcraft. But exonerating Rose might mean crossing paths with a dangerous force. Were the women victims of an all-too-human vengeance, or was the devil raised in Salem that night? And if they cannot discover what truly happened, will evil rise again?

I saw this one on Blogging for Books but was probably four seconds too late to get a copy. It looks interesting definitely and the premise is weird enough for me to enjoy it. I saw it on the "New Items" shelf at my local library and had to have a go at it. Hopefully I like it. I think I might pick up How to Hang a Witch either right before or right after. Since they both deal with witches in Salem.  

No comments:

Post a Comment