Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Top 5 Wednesday: Characters on the Naughty List

Okay. I joined the group “Top 5 Wednesday” and the topic I'm coming in on is “Characters on the Naughty List: Villains or Just Characters You Don't Like.” Well if that's not a big title, I don't know what is. I think that the majority of the characters that I'm going to end up choosing aren't necessarily villains, but just characters that I really don't like. Be warned, there are spoilers.


1. Mary Catherine Blackstone (We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson) – This bitch was absolutely bonkers. Her sister was charged with the death of their parents/family and when the sister is acquitted of the crime, she is taken back to the house she shares with her sister and their uncle. It turns out at the end of the book that her sister wasn't the one who had done it at all, and had actually had no idea at all what was going on. It had been Mary Catherine who had done it after some silly argument with her parents. I don't know what in the hell the argument was about, but to take it to such drastic measures immediately is amazing. She is one damaged little girl.

2. Wu Lien (Dragon Seed by Pearl S. Buck) – The man is a terrible person. He sold out his entire country (basically) to keep his own business afloat while the country he lived in was being invaded by foreigners who don't give two shits about him to begin with. Yes, he thinks he's doing well, but anything he tries to do for the villagers will be tainted with the blood of those that died at the hand of the enemy. I hate sellouts like that. Bad fat Chinese man. He put his business safety above the welfare of an entire NATION.

3. Esther's Father (The Book of Esther by Emily Barton) – I don't know his name. I'm sure they named him, but I cannot remember what it is offhand and I don't feel like digging out the book. I just did not like him at all. Not even because he was a villain, but because he treated his daughter in such a way that would have been unheard of, even then. He treated her far worse than what one would have expected. I really just didn't like her dad.

4. Shere Khan (The Jungle Books by Rudyard Kipling) – This one is because he's half a bad character, he tried to kill a child during the Peace and then partly because I just have never liked him. No matter what version. The absolutely not scary version of him from the original Disney animated film, the new version of the movie with Idris Elba as Shere Khan to even the original books. He was just over all a very crappy character even when he wasn't actively trying to kill people.

5. Nathaniel Wadsworth (Stalking Jack the Ripper by Kerri Maniscalco) – He was just.....I don't even know if there is any way to describe him properly. He let his sister go months thinking that he was helping her look for Jack the Ripper when it turned out to be him the entire time. I cannot believe that he was doing that for the reasons he was. It was just horrible and I don't like him. He seemed so sweet and helpful at first, going around talking to people as if he weren't fully aware of what was happening. It was so gross.


So, that's my top five for this week. I hope you enjoyed and I'll see you next week for the next Top 5 Wednesday~

No comments:

Post a Comment