Thursday, March 28, 2019

Currently Reading: 09 March to 23 March 2019

Currently Reading

The Priory of the Orange Tree by Samantha Shannon (05%)
- Queer Magic by Tomás Prower (14%)
- Five Feet Apart by Rachael Lippincott (22%)
- Hunting Prince Dracula by Kerri Maniscalco (12%)
- To All the Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han (08%)
- Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan (41%)
- IT by Stephen King (18%)
- Journey to the West by Wu Cheng'en (14%)
The Original Illustrated Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (39%)

* * *

I made some progress so far this week on IT by Stephen King. Got from page 71 to page 212 over the weekend. Hopefully today (3/13) I can either get to where I want to be or at least significantly closer. I don't know right now if I want to read beyond where I set my goal to for this quarter of the year. I only wanted to reach page 289. I plan to read 289 pages per quarter and actually finish this book in December. Just under 100 pages per month would get me there. The problem is do I keep going after I hit the 289 this month and still have half a month to go or do I wait?

I went and bought 12 books at the local(ish) Books-a-Million. I also picked up the newest Samantha Shannon book from Amazon for my Kindle. I counted the books I have (currently) and I came up with the following:

Physical Books: 1,181
Digital Books: 1,163
Total Books: 2,344

I think I have far too many books. Don't you? The sad part is, I also have a list of books I want to acquire at some point and I like to browse bookstores and see if anything speaks to me. I don't buy as many books on the Kindle as I used to, because there is just something about physically holding the book in my hand (from 20 page shorts to 1,156 page monstrosities of the English language) that speaks more to me. Maybe it's because I grew up attending the local library and I got accustomed to reading physical books. I still have to adjust to reading digital books.

What should I talk about this session? Hmm....I came up with 12 books to read for the whole year. Maybe once every month in a reading blog post I will add it again and update it to include what I have read? The list is: 

- Night by Elie Wiesel
- Hunting Prince Dracula by Kerri Maniscalco
- Forest of a Thousand Lanterns by Julie C. Dao
- More Happy Than Not by Adam Silvera
- Renegades by Marissa Meyer
- Queer Magic by Tomás Prower
- Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov
- The Last of August by Brittany Cavallaro
- Mein Kampf by Adolf Hitler
- The Night Tiger by Yangsze Choo
- Bel Canto by Ann Patchett
- The XY by Virginia Bergin


I think this is a good mix of the books that I own. I will not start another new one until April, and I'm probably going to pick one of the YA or shorter books because Camp will be a pain in the balls and will stop me from really being able to read as much as I do. It is what it is. I suppose I will also put up March's TBR that I came up with: 

- IT by Stephen King (p289)
- Renegades by Marissa Meyer
- Journey to the West by Wu Cheng'en (vol 1)
- Five Feet Apart by Rachael Lippincott
- A Danger to Herself and Others by Alyssa Sheinmel
- Archenemies by Marissa Meyer
- Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan
- To All the Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han



I did actually manage to finish it! Sort of. I made it to the page count I wanted to reach. Ironically, IT actually has page 289 as a chapter end, so come April I will actually be starting it fresh with a new chapter. I think that's interesting. 

I'm struggling with Journey to the West though. For no other reason than the way it was translated is trash. Clearly this was done either by some newly ESL people or by a machine that was entirely unfamiliar with how American/English grammar and page structure worked. Everything is all clumped together, with zero attempt to separate anything from each other with the exception of the poems, which somehow are centered and their own paragraphs? How is that possible? 

No comments:

Post a Comment