Wednesday, October 25, 2023

October 2023 Wrap Up

In October, I've read 3 books. 

1. House of Hollow by Krystal Sutherland - This book was definitely interesting. We primarily follow Iris Hollow, the youngest of three sisters who were abducted while on a family vacation only to turn up again a month later. Ten years later, her eldest sister vanishes without a trace and we go with Iris on the journey to figure out where she's gone and what happened. I kind of guessed a little what was happening. Like I was going down the right path and missed the mark by inches. I did like the book and may even read it again. I'm not sure. 

2. The Book Eaters by Sunyi Dean - It was okay. I was interested in the storyline, but I think a lot could have been changed to make it better? The just aggressive way the 'eaters thought of anyone who wasn't an 'eater (and some who were) was appalling. They looked down on humans as a lesser sort of creature that was not particularly worthy of their empathy or something? I don't know. It just rubbed me the wrong way. And how instead of trying to sort out what to do with Mind Eaters, they just abused the power they had and basically turned them into weapons. I've already put the book up for sale on Pango. I know full well I will not ever reread it.  

3. Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult - I was talking to someone in a Discord about banned and challenged books and we got talking about this one, which was recently removed from several libraries. I can understand why people wouldn't want it in schools,  but I also think people should read it. I felt for Peter and Josie the whole time and I am convinced that Jordan was right and it is what is now called cPTSD. 

No comments:

Post a Comment