Saturday, April 11, 2015

March 2015 Book Haul

So this month, I've decided I'm going to put up a blog post about any books I've bought every month. I don't count the ones that I got for free because....well, I didn't buy them. Why would I count free books? In this blog post, I'll go over which books I bought and a brief synopsis trying to be as spoiler-free as I can. (I don't know why it's not letting me justify this section.)


Book #1: A Call to Arms by Shiriluna Nott & SaJa H.


A Call to Arms by Shiriluna NottThis book is one of the first ones I reviewed. It's all about the young boy, Gibben, and his journey through being sent off to become a sentinel and discovering more about himself at the same time. I read it back in March and it was very good. I liked the way it related just how terrifying growing up in a small, secluded village and then being thrust into city life can be. I loved the way they presented everything. 


Shiriluna Nott and SaJa H have a gift for writing that should not be passed up if possible. They are releasing the next volume in the set some time this spring, and I am very excited to get it. I can't wait to see what happens next for Gib and the gang.


Book #2: The Narrow Three by J.K. Miller II

The Narrow Three by J.K. Miller III bought this after becoming friends with J.K. Miller on Facebook. What can I say? I like having a lot of writer friends. I think this book is fantastic and deserves better light than it is in. I am also excited because I'm getting a signed copy of this in paperback. Too cool!


It follows a private (sort of) detective as he tries to figure out what it is that's going on in the town. Reports are coming in of animals going crazy, and then a little girl turns up dead. The day before she had been fine and all of a sudden she looks more like a mummy than a child. Nathan is given the task of finding out just what happened to her. There are enough twists and turns to keep everybody hooked. I didn't even figure out the title until the very end.


Book #3: The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank

I have wanted this book for....EVER. It's the printed version of Anne's diary that she kept while in hiding during WWII. I have very vague memories of having to read it during middle school, and wanting to get a copy for myself. I finally broke down and bought one on my Kindle. I can't wait to read it and see if I can't remember half of what we read in school. For some reason I am thinking I had to read it for those weekly log things they made us do in 6th-8th grade.


"Since Anne’s diary is a true personal account of a life in hiding, it is inappropriate to analyze it as a novel or other work of fiction. Parts of the diary were intended for public view, but others clearly were not. To appreciate and interpret the diary, it is necessary to consider its horrible context, World War II and the Holocaust, before any discussion of plot development or thematic content." - SparkNotes.


Book #4: Best of Friends by Joseph Crowe

Best of Friends (High School Daze #1) Another book purchased simply because I happen to be friends with the author. I have a lot of those. This book is featured in my March wrap up, so if you want a slightly more in-depth review, you can find one there.


This book follows teenagers Sam and Rex as they realize truths about themselves and each other. I loved the story, despite how short it was. I wished it were longer so that way I could spend more time with Sam, Rex, and Shawn. Of course, I was visualizing their small town high school looking exactly like mine...


Book #5: A Teaspoon of Earth and Sea by 

I bought it because it was pretty! Seriously, that is the entire reason why I bought it. That and it was only $6 in Barnes & Noble's Last Chance bin. There were two copies of it and I just loved the artwork on the cover so much that I went and bought the book. 


According to the inside cover, this book is about a young girl named Saba Hafezi, who grows up in the 1980s in Iran working on a rice paddy with her twin sister Mahteb. When her mother and sister disappear, she is left with just her father. Saba grows up believing that her sister has gone off to America without her and so when things are difficult for her, she imagines Mahteb's life and how is must be living in the United States. 

I'm not sure if this will be the kind of book I like to read, but I just couldn't pass up all the pretty blues.

Book #6: The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

Everyone has been raving about this book, so when I got some extra money I hadn't been expecting my very first stop was to Barnes & Noble where I picked it up. I love the way it's being told and cannot wait to finish it.


I won't spoil who is telling us the story for those who have not read it, but it centers around a young girl who like the title suggest, steals books during WWII. Some she does not steal, some are given to her. She experiences things that no child her age should: heartache, loneliness, and suffering that should be reserved only for those who are prepared to deal with it.

This book so far is getting 5/5. I will probably finish it some time this month and post it in my April Wrap up!

Book #7: The Selection by Kiera Cass

The Selection (The Selection, #1)This was the first book I bought because of it's reviews. Many of the people that I subscribed to on YouTube and follow/am friends with on Goodreads were giving this book 5-star reviews and absolutely raving about it. It takes place in a future, dystopian America. There's a contest and some thirty-five girls are chosen from all over the country from all different walks of life to compete for the hand of the prince. It's basically a royal version of the Bachelor, only you could be there for years while he decides. 

I didn't like this book nearly as much as the others did. Probably because I don't like the Bachelor or the Bachlorette. They just aren't my kinds of shows. I prefer fantasy, paranormal, and the criminal shows. I can't wait until I can afford a copy of The Elite so that way I can keep reading it and find out what happens though.

Book #8: That Time with Sugar by Tess Oliver

That Time with Sugar + BONUS New Adult Romance
Bought because of a competition. They were giving away swag packs and you had to show a screenshot or picture of you having the book on your reading device. I wanted the swag pack, so I bought this book and took a picture of it open to page one. Figured I have it, I may as well read it. It was so good. I wasn't expecting that.


It follows Tommy, Sugar and Julian as they find out things about their pasts that had been kept in the dark. Times they were lied to, and some connections that went deeper than Green Willow Rehabilitation. They escape one evening after Julian figures out how to turn off the security system and they learn how Julian's father had a hand in some pretty dark things. I don't want to ruin it because the reveal is very worth the read.


Book #9: The Alexander Cipher by Will Adams

The Alexander Cipher (Daniel Knox, #1)A Dollar General find. I love ancient Greece. It's history, culture, politics...everything. I had seen this book earlier, but since I have a habit of accidentally buy like #4 or one time #14 in a series, I didn't buy it. After figuring out the mechanics of Goodreads, I learned that this particular book was the first in a series. So I went right back up and bought it. 

I love it. I love it so very much. It's actually contemporary, which surprised me. Daniel Knox, a scuba instructor and underwater archaeologist is brought on to help figure out who is buried in a Macedonian tomb found during the construction of a hotel in Alexandria, Egypt. During the exploration he meets Gaille Bonnard, a girl whose father he used to work for. He's eventually found out by some people who want to kill him, and in this the people he's working for at the time decide they want to kill him and he has to somehow manage to figure out who is in the tomb, use the cipher they found on the wall to find the missing body of Alexander the Great and not get killed all that the same time. 

It is a great read if anybody likes that kind of thing.


Book #10: Esperanza by Trish J. MacGregor

Esperanza (Hungry Ghosts, #1)Yet another Dollar General book. I have a bad habit. I saw it, it looked interesting, and it cost $1. I'm not sure at all if I even bothered to read the back of it in the store. 

According to the synopsis, Tess Livingston and Ian Ritter meet in a small town called Esperanza. They have the key to help decide the battle between the good ghosts who guard the world and the "hungry" ghosts that want to possess people so they can at least temporarily be alive again. 

Ghosts, Honduras, two people who will *probably* fall in love by the end of the story...how could I not want to own this? I picked it up because it looks absolutely fantastic from the back and from what I read of the prologue while I was walking home. I might do a review of this one when I get done with it.


Book #11: The Omen Machine by Terry Goodkind

The Omen Machine (Richard and Kahlan, #1; Sword of Truth, #12)I am in love with Wizard's First Rule by Terry Goodkind, the first in the Sword of Truth books. This happens to be #14 I believe in that series. Of course I have to by #5-#13 yet as I have only the first four and this one. Still it looked good.


From what I understand, this just a continuation of the story of Richard and Kahlan. I must reread the first four and then find volumes 5-13 before I can read this and tell you anything about it. I just couldn't pass it up at $3. My local Dollar General has this section at the end of one of the aisles that is just filled with $1-$3 books. This one that I got was one of the $3 hardbacks. I don't buy very many of those because much like The Omen Machine they start at "Volume 14 in the...." I am glad I grabbed this one though, while it was cheap.


Book #12: The Sculptor by Gregory Funaro


The Sculptor (Sam Markham, #1)I really have no shame. That or I have to stop going into the Dollar General. I bought this one from the same place as I have been buying the rest of them recently. I feel this will be my biggest bane next to yard sales come June and July, when they are $0.25/ea or 5/$1.00. 


This book is about a mad serial killer who preserves his victims and turns them into replicas of Michelangelo's statues. The FBI gets involved and has to figure out who his next victim is going to be and where he is to stop this before the death toll gets any higher. I am curious to see how this will work because it reminds me very much of the TV show Criminal Minds. As I stated with Esperanza, I will probably be adding a review of this book when I finish it. I am still deciding what all books will be first and foremost on my May TBR and these two are definitely up there!

* ~ * ~ *

I think these are all the books I bought in March....I didn't exactly record them and I don't remember which is which. I'll do better from now on...I promise! I think I'm going to start writing down books that I buy in a notebook to make sure I don't forget to haul them!

No comments:

Post a Comment