Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Review: They Pyramids of London by Andrea K. Höst

This book was published on February 27, 2015 by Andrea Höst. It is an LGBTQIA/Fantasy novel with 340 pages.

Arianne "Rian" Seaforth was selected to become the next person to serve a vampire lord, though this all goes wrong when she is attacked by a Sphinx. She becomes bound to another vampire who is from London. While in London with her three charges, she discovers who is after her and what it is they are hiding.

Left in her care is a piece of round fulgite, a stone used to power electric devices. There have been rumors of fulgite being haunted and causing automatons to act without being programmed to. One such automaton, a converted mannequin, is left in the care of Rian. It is in its back that she finds this rare, completely round fulgite.

Through a series of strange almost coincidences, she discovers the person she thought responsible was one of the ones trying to help figure out who in fact was the guilty party. This novel combines elements of Greek, Roman, Welsh, Gaelic and Egyptian pantheons together in a way that make it a highly unusual story.

I loved and hated this book. I loved the way it was so original, until I'd read the little bit in the back...I would never have guessed that Prytennia, the country she is from, is modern day Wales. It wasn't exactly obvious when the only two places they mentioned that ANYBODY would know were London and Sweden. And Rutherford University.

This novel is listed as LGBTQIA, but the only hints of it is about 75-80% of the way through when a pair of crushes are mentioned. In both a young woman is crushing on someone of a much higher status than her own and there is very little chance of them getting together. I would not put the LGBTQIA tag on it for that. It's insignificant to the story.

The plot sometimes seems just barely linked together to keep the story going. There were moments when reading it, when I actually felt a headache developing trying to link the various pieces together. The character of Arianne was stiff and I couldn't relate at all to her or her plight. I could not sympathize with her no matter how hard I tried because she was just too closed off. It was like I was trying to get an impression from a picture of a painting. If she had been given more emotion, I probably would have liked her much better.

When Comfrey Makepeace made appearances I wasn't sure if I liked him or not. He seemed the kind that only does things to suit his motives, and not of anyone who's employ he may have been in. I half expected that he was part of the group that was trying to get the fulgite in the beginning.

I rated this book a 4/5 because the I did like the way the story was presented, but not the story itself. I would definitely be recommending it to friends of mine who are interested in alternative history stories and the like. Overall it was a good book and I was glad to have the opportunity to read it, but I would not suggest it to anybody who does not like Roman or Egyptian history.

No comments:

Post a Comment