Saturday, August 19, 2017

Review: The Lesser Bohemians by Eimear McBride

One night an eighteen-year-old Irish girl, recently arrived in London to attend drama school, meets an older man - a well-regarded actor in his own right. While she is naive and thrilled by life in the big city, he is haunted by more than a few demons, and the clamorous relationship that ensues risks undoing them both. A captivating story of passion and innocence, joy and discovery set against the vibrant atmosphere of 1990s London over the course of a single year, THE LESSER BOHEMIANS glows with the eddies and anxieties of growing up, and the transformative intensity of a powerful new love. 

I tried. I really really tried. I made it as far as page ten and gave up. I don't know what exactly was going through Ms. McBride's head when she wrote this, but it's entirely impossible for me to follow. 

I only made it as far as page ten before I gave up and couldn't continue. The sentence structure made no sense, the fact that there were sentences in a different size threw me off. The last straw was that I just couldn't follow the dialogue at all. It's almost like this person was mentally challenged some how and could not form proper sentences. I know human beings rarely thing in grammatically correct sentences, but at least they make sense. This did not. 

I gave what I did read of this a 1/5, and just DNF'd the rest of it because it was giving me a headache. I will probably not pick up anything else by Eimear McBride. I received this book from Blogging for Books in return for an honest review. 

No comments:

Post a Comment