Saturday, January 14, 2023

Currently Reading: 08 - 14 January 2023

Currently Reading

The Shadow of the Gods by John Gwynne (32%)
In a Book Club Far Away by Tif Marcelo (59%)
- Legends & Lattes by Travis Baldree (18%)
- The Neverending Story by Michael Ende (10%)
- Wilder Girls by Rory Powers (28%)
Endpapers by Jennifer Savran Kelly (11%)

* * *

Yearly Reading Goal
1/75

* * *

I am, somewhat unfortunately still at 1 of 75 for the year. I did enjoy the book, but I seem to have been starting more than I've finished. Not that it will harm anything, as none of them are over 500 pages. I had thought for sure that John Gwynne's would be, but no. It's actually 478 pages. At least, the edition I have is. Ah well, perhaps I can get through more of these as I go through the month. 

Picked up John Gwynne's book, incidentally, to buddy...listen...with a friend of mine. She and I have been friends for a very long time, and we are both avid readers and we never once thought to actually read something together until 2023? Despite having known each other for close to a decade. You would think we'd have come up with paired books to read together many times. Usually she reads much faster than I do (she could get away with listening to audiobooks at work, I can't). This year however, we've actually decided on two books! An audio edition of The Shadow of the Gods by John Gwynne, and then I'm going to read the print while she reads the digital of Legends & Lattes by Travis Baldree. It looked good and I can't wait to get at it. 

I've started up my beta reading for FictionPress/FanFiction again. So far it's been interesting. I have one project right now that I'm working on with a newer author, and I am not sure how they will be able to rewrite it, but you never know. Stranger things have happened. It's just very...new writer to me? I don't know how best to describe what I mean. There is a lot of potential. A lot of promise that I can see, it's just very rough around the edges right now. I hope I can help them shape their masterpiece into something people will want to read.

I've decided on two works to keep me occupied with writing during the year. "Carpe Librum" for FictionPress which follows a young man realizing his dream and opening up a bookstore in a small town where all the town's 'outcasts' can just exist without worry about anything happening to them. "Proj. Oz [Title: TBA]" for FanFiction, which will follow a random (nearly self-insert) OC in the Stranger Things universe because really I just need something to keep me occupied while it's dead at work. It will be all about a young man named Ethan who finds himself transplanted from his home town of Wichita, Kansas to Hawkins, Indiana and what happens with that. Still working on the worldbuilding and characters. 

I don't think there's anything else really to talk about? Oh! Yes, I finally found and picked up a copy of A Clockwork Reader's reading journal. I had to get ink for my printer, and since we were going to be passing the parking lot for the Barnes & Noble anyway, we decided to stop in. I went to the journal section and found they had exactly one copy left for an absurd amount of money. Naturally I couldn't leave it behind. I like the way she modeled this one, with a few sections, but then not breaking up the actual reviews area with other things to do. She just puts a few inspirational quotes in it, which I like. The fact the cover is in a brighter green certainly helped sway me toward the purchase. That shade is my actual favorite shade of green. Not quite eye-burning, but close. I've already filled in one finished read, and I've put a bunch of currently reading books on there to fill in as I finish them. 

I suppose that is all for this week, my sweets. If I can think of anything else, I'll be sure to let you know in the next update! Have a wonderful week and I'll see you on the 21st. 

No comments:

Post a Comment