Wednesday, December 13, 2023

Currently Reading #1 [01 - 06 January 2024]

Currently Reading

- IT by Stephen King [49%]
- The Will of the Many by James Islington [59%]
- A Black Crow Flies by L.B. Perdan [03%]
- Keys to Perception by Ivo Dominguez, Jr [05%]
- The Black Phone Stories by Joe Hill [52%]
- Mercury by Amy Jo Burns [01%]
* * * 
Yearly Goal
2/72
[03%]
* * *

You'll notice that I've slightly changed how I title things. I've decided to update it a little and begin counting the blog posts. There is no real reason for this other than just so I can keep better track! I'm numbering them now in an effort to recall just which one I'm on. I know I'll forget so when I do, I will just put the time gap in them and update that way. I hope to keep up better with my reading blog this upcoming year. 

I have so many books are now on my 2024 reading list that I don't know what to do with myself. Right at the end of 2023, I purchased some new books and I am struggling with myself to not drop everything (even the books I'm more than halfway through) and read those instead. Barnes & Noble was doing the 2023 End of Year Hardback sale and of course I couldn't help myself and picked up a few [read: 11] new books. So many that I want to read that I am like eyeballing the stack. 

Someone on my Threads made a comment that I think was directed at me, but I'm not sure. They said that 'she is not well read, she is well bought' and I presume they were talking about me. Which, I'll be frank, is half true. I like buying books. I like being able to see a collection that is mine, that I own and no one else. I've heard it's a psychological response to poverty at a young age. You instinctively hoard things as an adult to fill that gap. However! In the same light, I [try to] only buy books I'm actually interested in reading. With one notable exception. The Poetic Works of Alexander Pope edited by [name], from 1859, which I only bought because it was in stunning condition and the seller only wanted $5 for it at the local flea market. Of course I wasn't turning that down. 

I had meant to curb my book acquisition in 2024, and I've already sort of broken it. 01 January 2024 was Stuff Your Kindle: Fantasy day. I looked through the list and ended up adding 23 books to my Kindle. I didn't actually pay for any of them, so I assume that means that they don't count toward my bookish restriction. I'm saying no, but it will make the Book Haul at the end of the month insanely long. Much longer than normal. Ah, to acquire free books. I love it. 

I've already finished 2 books for the year within the first 5 days of January. If I keep up this reading streak, I'll end the year with 104/72 [144%]. Which to me sounds brilliant!! I''m hoping to at bare minimum hit that 6-8 per month. That way I can at least get from 72-96. Something I can easily do! I am working on that now with several books that are quite interesting that I'm hoping to see the way to the end of. 

I've found a new thing that I like that will also definitely help in reaching my goals. Short story collections. I bought The Black Phone Stories by Joe Hill (previously published as 20th Century Ghost Stories) during the B&N Hardback Haul, and I've been reading, or at least attempting to read one short story every night before I go to bed. I should be finished with it by the fifteenth? Then I'm kind of considering getting another out, one of the others that I have on the shelf that I've read maybe the first few of and never continued. Gonna start that as a habit. So far, it's been working. 

Um, nothing else exciting has happened. I'll see you all for the next installment in a week!!




No comments:

Post a Comment