Sunday, December 31, 2023

Currently Reading 10 - 31 December 2023

Currently Reading

- The Black Phone Stories by Joe Hill (21%)
- Keys to Perception by Ivo Dominguez, Jr (05%)
- IT by Stephen King (37%)
- The Echelon Vendetta by David Stone (58%)
- The Black Crow Flies by L.B. Perdan (03%)
- The Will of the Many by James Islington (44%) 

* * *
Yearly Reading Goal
87/72
(121%)
* * *

2023 actually went fairly well as far as my reading went. Some months kind of didn't see as high a quantity of books, but those were also the months were I was reading larger books. So I am still counting it as brilliantly done. I'm proud of myself for hitting the number that I did. I've seen people get all twisted up about not hitting their goal of 200+ books and panicking because they still have like 20+ to go? Be happy you read what you did. Who really cares if you read 1 book or 100? You still read something. 

I keep starting books without finishing what I'm reading now. I have to nip that in the bud before it becomes too big of a problem. Perhaps starting in 2024, I will limit myself to not being allowed to start a book until I finish one. No more than four on the go at any given time (grandfathering in what I'm already reading, of course). That way I can also kind of not end up with 16 books on my currently reading list again. Even four is a bit much. Time will tell if I keep that up. 

I'm going to continue on with the old plan of putting away money each time I finish a read. If I just hit my goal, and nothing else, I'll make $360 for the year reading. I'm deciding between flat out withdrawing the money from the bank at the end of the week/month, or allowing it to build up in my savings. But the bank likes to autodefault to the wrong account if I happen to overdraft. I keep money in the other for that....ah well, we will see if we can change that. 

Christmas was not a disappointment this year literarily speaking. I didn't get books, but then I haven't since I was like twelve. I did, however, get bookish items. I got a new coffee mug with a print of books all around it and a little bookish lamp thingy. I've been using it as a nightlight. Dad thought I was going to hate the items because they are not what he had thought they would be. I thought they were perfect. I'm always down for a little chaos in one's things. Perfection is for the birds. 

As per usual, Barnes & Noble did their end of year hardback sale. They changed it up this year. Instead of a blanket 50% off all hardbacks, they did 33% off all hardbacks, with the bonus 10% for Premium members. Then you got $20 in rewards for every $50 spent (I think they owe me $60? I spent $151....) and you get the points for it on top of that. So like, you get a much better deal out of it than just a straight 50%. I went on Thursday the 28th. And walked away with a total of 11 books. I think the ones I'm most excited for are The Black Phone Stories by Joe Hill (which I've already started) and Y/N by Esther Yi. The first one has the short story for the Blumhouse movie of the same name that I saw and loved. The second follows a girl obsessed with a member of a K-Pop band and what happens when he goes missing. 

Hmm...what else happened in the last, what 3 weeks? I sold a few more books online at my PangoBooks shop, which you can see here. I have been getting better at unhauling books that I don't think I'll ever read, or ever read again. Between putting them up for sale and taking them to the nearest Free Little Library. I think it's a win/win, too. Since I plan to keep the money that I earn in the app there to use it for bookish purchases. Feels like I'm not spending anything on books when in reality it's like $2? For a bubble envelope. 

I guess that's it for now. I will see you all in the new year. Have blessed new year and may all your dreams come true!!

No comments:

Post a Comment