Thursday, April 30, 2015

April 2015 Wrap Up

I have read 10 books this month. Apparently most of them were Kindle books. I liked some of them, but others were more of a meh nature to me. I guess it's my very eclectic taste. I will try to remain as spoiler-free as possible! I have also decided to only post my Wrap-Ups. Hauls with me would get much too large, so I decided against posting them. I will leave March's up.

* ~ * ~ *

Book #1: The Selection by Kiera Cass

I had seen many positive reviews about this book in the BookTube and Goodreads worlds. I thought I would give it a go just to see if it was all it was told to be.

It is about a young girl named America Singer who puts her name in a lottery to see if she will be one of the thirty-five women selected to compete for the hand of the Prince. No one knows how long they will be at the castle. It could be a few hours, or it could be a few months. Of all the young girls there, America is the one who has no interest in being the next Princess. She is only there because she was asked to submit her name to the drawing.

I didn't like it as much as I thought I would...rating it a 4/5 stars. It was a great story and well told, I just didn't really connect with it like I thought I would. I plan to pick up at the very least the next volume and see if I like that one before deciding what I will do. I might give them away some time if I don't like that one either.

Book #2: Fifty Shades Freed by E.L. James

This was very much a curiosity got the better of me kind of thing. I borrowed this from my mother because I had pretty much zero interest in owning my own copy. I still have no interest, but I'm glad I've had the opportunity to read the books and discover what the hype was all about.

This book begins with Christian and Ana already married, and follows as they begin their life as spouses. Old enemies make a comeback and try to sabotage their life, but they don't let that stand in their way. 

Overall, I think out of all three books in this trilogy, I liked this one the best and rated it 4/5 stars. It's a little better than the previous two in terms of the action sequences, but still not my cup of tea. I'm glad I borrowed it instead of buying a copy because I'm sure I would never read these again unless I had to for some assignment. I didn't particularly care for the writing style or exceptional number of times the word "jeez" popped up.

Book #3: When I Dream of You by Rosa Sophia


I have known Rosa for a few years, and she asked if I would be willing to read her book for review for my blog. I was happy to oblige and eventually went and bought a copy. Though I had been given a copy for review, I did not have my Kindle then and my computer got grumpy with me about opening up the file.

Nina Archer has suffered a terrible event in her childhood and is working through it slowly. She is trying to find a way to balance what has happened with her future so that way she will not be as terrified. During a race she meets fellow runner and writer Wes, who helps her at least start to overcome her fear of men. 

My complaint? It was too short! It got 5/5 for the story itself because I loved it. It was not a novella where the point was I'm a girl your a boy let's take off our clothes like so many others I'd read. This one has a psychological depth I hadn't been expecting. I loved it very much!

Book #4: When I Think of You by Rosa Sophia


Who saw this coming? Hmmm? Not long before I finally finished When I Dream of You, Rosa asked if I would read When I Think of You. The sequel to Book #3. I agreed pretty quickly. It was cool to be asked to review another book by the same author. 

This book picks up a year and a half after Nina has moved to North Carolina. She needed some space to think and figure out what exactly it is that is important in her life. She attends A.C.A.P. (I think I've got the acronym right...I can't remember all of a sudden) and meets Roberta there. It's during this time she realizes that the place she needs to be is with her mother. 

I gave this novella a 4/5 because of the blurb it had on Amazon. I was lead to believe that it would be about Wes and Nina's growing relationship when Wes hardly made an appearance outside of the first and last chapters. The blurb was misleading and it soured me a little bit on the book. As usual I loved the rest of the story and eagerly await the next in the trilogy.

Book #5: The Book Thief by Markus Zusak


EVERYBODY I follow on BookTube that has read this, was giving this book a rave review. When I had the extra money on me and I saw it in Barnes & Noble and I could afford it, I snatched it up with such ferocity that it made my fiance laugh at me and call me a silly book nerd.

Liesel Miminger is a 9-year-old girl who is sent to live with a new family in Molching, Germany during 1939. She is reluctant to even be going until she meets Hans Hubermann, who helps her grow accustomed to her new home and Rudy Steiner, a new friend she would make. 

I liked it. Not as much as I thought I would from what I had heard from others, so I rated this one 4/5 stars. The style was not what I like, but I like historical fictions so I read this one, knowing in advance at least when it was supposed to be. I liked it all but the weird way Mr. Zusak did chapters/parts and the miscellaneous blurb interruptions in the story.

Book #6: The Pyramids of London by Andrea K. Höst. 


Thank you NetGalley! I found the site through a BookTube post and I have selected a few books to request for review. The first among them being The Pyramids of London by Andrea K. Höst. I have posted a review on this book, so please head on over there for a more detailed version of this.

Arianne Seaforth has lost her brother and sister-in-law in a terrible accident and must figure out who is behind it. In this dystopian Europe, Rome never fell and Egypt now has vampires in their sway. Rian must look after her nieces and nephew while also searching for the person or people behind their parents death all while dealing with her new position as a Keeper of the Deep Grove. 

I was so-so throughout most of the book. There was a lot of information all being thrown at you at once and it was hard to keep up. I rated this one 4/5 for how confusing it was and how much you had to read at the end.

Book #7: The Everlasting Spell by Kristin Ravelle


Ms. Ravelle sent this to me with the question of if I would read it for a review. It was pretty good for a novelette.

Sabina Clair is in love with Justin Rokoff, and is willing to do anything to see her love returned. After overhearing some other college students talking about getting a moon spell from a little shop in the older section of town, she decides to check it out for herself. She buys one of the spells thinking it will help her get Justin's love on her side. It causes a lot more than she expected it would and now has to figure out how to undo it.

I liked the way the book was designed, though like usual I felt it too short. There were some places where things could have been fleshed out a little more. I did write up a full report of this book and posted it on this blog. Check it out if you are interested!

Book #8: Awakened by Brenda K. Davies


Traumatized by her past, and struggling to move on from it, Sera has spent the past three years of college hiding herself from the world and content to stay that way. A chance encounter with Liam shatters her sheltered world, leaving her stunned and shaken by the strange feelings and emotions he arises in her, feelings she never thought she would experience and that frighten her in their intensity. Harboring a dark and deadly secret of his own, Liam knows that he should stay away from Sera; that he will only bring her more hurt, but he is irresistibly drawn to her and unable to deny himself the pleasure that only she can bring to him. But when their pasts collide with their present, and Liam’s true nature is revealed, will their love for each other be enough, or will they be torn apart forever?

This book is definitely 18+. I didn't look it up first, and I was very surprised by the sex. It's good, very good though. I loved it.

Book #9: Fixed on You by Laurelin Paige


It looks a lot worse than it actually is. Though, warning if you don't like sex in a book I would not suggest reading this.


Stalking and restraining orders are a thing of Alayna Wither’s past. With her MBA newly in hand, she has her future figured out — move up at the nightclub she works at and stay away from any guy who might trigger her obsessive love disorder. A perfect plan.

Alayna Withers is 'hired' by the man who owns the nightclub she works with to be his girlfriend in order to get his mother to drop an engagement with a woman he has no intention of marrying. They unintentionally fall in love when they help each other heal from their various compulsive disorders. 

I liked it very much. Another 18+ book that I would not let anybody under the age of 16 even get their hands on, let alone read. I'm not going to review this one for my blog, but it was definitely a good read.

Book #10: Agatha H. and the Airship City by Phil and Kaja Foglio


I borrowed this book from my fiance. She has read most (if not all, I don't know how many there are in the series) of the Girl Genius comic books. This particular book here is the first book in the novelization of the comics. 

It was too funny. I had read the comics before, making it I think to volume 6 or 7? I liked it and I thought it was great, but I much prefer real books to comic books. In this one, Agatha finds out who she really is while trying to learn exactly who is an enemy and who is a friend. There is a fine line between them.

If you like what can only be described as steampunk, you'd love this book very much. I know I liked it and normally books like this don't interest me. Though it may have been because I already knew what the story was from the comics. I gave this book a 5/5 stars because again, who doesn't like a girl who knows her way around a machine shop and isn't afraid to defend herself with a wrench? (Kudos to people who think of Winry Rockbell.)

I hope everyone else had a great reading (or writing) month!

No comments:

Post a Comment