Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Unpopular Opinions Tag

I've been watching this tag on BookTube a lot and decided I would do a blog version of my own. I used a lot of genres in this because I read a wide variety. I don't mean to offend anybody. These are only MY opinions. If you like these books, or don't like them (see question #2) that's all up to you. Without further adieu, onto the questions:


1. A Popular Book or series that you didn't like. 

Twilight. Everybody I know was really into it when it first came out, so I'd found them all on sale in hardcover at Waldenbooks (haha yeah those existed still when I bought my copies), but I just didn't like them. I mostly didn't understand them really. I'm going to be giving them a re-read soon to see if age changes my opinion on them.

2. A Popular Book or series that every one else seems to hate but you love. 


I....could not think of one, but for this I will say the Harry Potter series. Mostly because of all the haters out there who probably didn't even bother to read the book (insert that hysterical satiric fanfic here). There has been a lot of outrage about this series but I love it. I loved it when they came out and I still love them today.

3. A Love Triangle where the main character ended up with the person you did NOT want them to end up with (warn ppl for spoilers) OR an OTP that you don't like.  


For this one, I'm going to have to say Clark and Tina from Josie Bordeaux's Breathless Promise. Tina is in my opinion pretty much using Clark as a boy-toy every time she has some kind of falling out with her boyfriend and doesn't actually like him. 

4. A popular book Genre that you hardly reach for. 

Non-fiction, because I literally do not ever go for these books unless they are Japanese or Greek history and culture. I like fiction way better because it actually says a lot about people. I can't really say why I don't go for them beyond the fact that they never held any particular draw for me.

5. A popular or beloved character that you do not like. 


I don't know if she's beloved or popular (because I like reading older books as well as newer ones), but the person that pops to the forefront of my mind for this question is Emma Bovary. She has these aspirations of grandeur and just about blames everybody else for not being the wife of a Count or Viscount and living in Paris. I really did not like how she tried to change her husband to fit her ideas of what a town person should be like.

6. A popular author that you can't seem to get into. 

Suzanne Collins. I have tried, several times in fact, to get into the Hunger Games series...but I just can't do it. I never made it past page eight. My sister actually got my copy of the first book because I just gave up. This isn't to say that the people who like this series are wrong, just that I have different tastes than they do. 

7. A popular book trope that you're tired of seeing. (examples "lost princess", corrupt ruler, love triangles, etc.) 


Overpowered MC. Seriously. Just because "s/he of the oddly spelled name" is the main character, doesn't mean they get to have more or better powers than the supporting characters. How about we give the other characters a chance to shine? Maybe they have better powers or are smarter than the MC?

8. A popular series that you have no interest in reading. 


The Vampire Diaries by what's-her-name because it just sounds really dumb. I've seen snippets of the show and I am just like "This makes no sense." I don't want to read something I don't follow at all and is an overused trope. If I hadn't picked overpowered MCs, I would have picked supernatural love-triangles for the trope question.

9. The saying goes "The book is always better than the movie", but what movie or T.V. show adaptation do you prefer more than the book? 

Uh....the only one where I thought that was Fifty Shades of Grey because you could finally see Christian's side of the story. When everybody was losing their minds over the scene with the flogger, I realized that he felt bad. He didn't want to do it. He actually felt terrible for flogging her. (In my defense, I haven't actually read very many books that have a movie or show tie in).

No comments:

Post a Comment