Saturday, January 20, 2018

Friday Reads: 13 January to 19 January 2018

Currently Reading

- The Dragon's Legacy by Deborah A. Wolf (01%)
The Rise and fall of D.O.D.O. by Neal Stephenson and Nicole Galland (06%)
- 12 Years a Slave by Solomon Northup (01%)
The Iron Wyrm Affair by Lilith St. Crow (02%)
Empress Dowager Cixi by Jung Chang (35%)
- Journey to the West by Wu Cheng'en (09%)
My Friend Flicka by Mary O'Hara (08%)
From Holmes to Sherlock by Mattias Bostrom (14%)
The Mortifications by Derek Palacio (05%)
- Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen (39%)
Les Miserables by Victor Hugo (15%)
The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern (30%)
Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe (21%)
- To the Letter by Simon Garfield (51%)
Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke (19%)
The Original Illustrated Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (39%)


* * *


Two books I read didn't actually make it onto the Currently Reading list. Because both got finished within a day. Trigger Warning by Neil Gaiman and Shen of the Sea by Arthur Bowie Chrisman. Both of which are short story books. The first being an adult one and the second is middle grade, I think? I don't know. I know that it wasn't very strong as far as the concept went. 

What else happened this week? Not a whole lot. I tried to go to the library the day after my books were due (inclement weather had the library closed the day they were due), but despite the lights being on and there being nothing at all on their Facebook page about them being closed....the door was locked and I couldn't get in. I ended up having to just put the books into the return box and go home. I'll not head back to the library again until Spring. It's far too cold for me outside. 

Finished my fourth book for the month. I have no idea whether I've mentioned this in the past or not, I couldn't find it in the posts that I have, but I've been doing an interesting thing. On the last day of the month, I roll a d10 (ten sided die for those that don't know) and in the coming month, that's the number of books I will strive to hit. Not so much a TBR as a NTR "number to read" because I am terrible at sticking to TBRs. December 31, I rolled my d10 and the number it came up with was: 5. As I've just finished book #4, that means I have 11 days to finish another book and I'll have met my goal for the month.I'm decently far through Empress Dowager Cixi by Jung Chang and The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern. I'm sorely tempted to work on The Dragon's Legacy by Deborah A. Wolf over the weekend though.....decisions decisions. I know! A die roll. Standard d6. 1-2: Cixi, 3-4: Circus, and 5-6: Dragon, right? Right. Let's see what I get. The die says #3, so this weekend we read Empress Dowager Cixi. That's good. I'm enjoying that story.

Figure if I get bored, I'll work on The Dragon's Legacy, which fits the Epic Reading Challenge prompt to read a book by an author with the same initials as you. It was infuriating to find a book in any of the genres I liked by someone with the initials DW or even WD, that wasn't like the third or fourth in a series. I even tried in the manga section! Eventually I found Ms. Wolf's book in the fantasy section. I am pleased with my purchase and hope to get to it soon...ish....

This is why there is an "ish" on the end of soon. I will end up spending a few days at my boyfriend JH's house, and I made absolutely sure that I was not going to run out of reading material. There was an 11th book on the pile yesterday, but I finished it at precisely 01:21 (I checked the time, I'm weird that way). I am rather excited to get through these books. I think only four of which were on my Currently Reading pile before December 25th? The rest didn't get added until after because either I hadn't gotten to them or I simply didn't own them until Christmas. Those were more or less just My Friend Flicka by Mary O'Hara and Journey to the West by Wu Cheng'en.

I know I won't get to all of these over the weekend, but it's definitely nice to have options to work with. I figure this way if I get bored with something or I finish another book, I have a decent selection to fall back on.

I suppose for now, that will be all. I can't think of anything else to talk about, so I will call it an end for now. See you all on Wednesday!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment