Saturday, February 1, 2020

Currently Reading: 01 - 11 January 2020

Currently Reading

- The Magicians by Lev Grossman (02%)
The Lost Causes of Bleak Creek by Rhett McLaughlin & Link Neal (07%)
The Last of August by Brittany Cavallaro (27%)
Brimstone by Justine Rosenberg (15%)
-  IT by Stephen King (40%)
Journey to the West by Wu Cheng'en (29%)
The Original Illustrated Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle (59%)

* * *

I can hardly believe it's already 2020. Seems like only just last year was the start of 2019. Amazing. I'm hoping that this year is a better reading year than last year was. I've set my goal in the standard of 50 for 2020, but the personal goal I will be aiming for is 6 books per month. I have a few good readathons starting in January that should help me push my bookish count.

I'm starting the new year with a nonfiction book. I wonder if that is a portent for the rest of the year? I also bought a bunch of books that I normally would not read on my own. Spacey science fiction/fantasy, which is a genre that I don't normally like (I've bought Skyward by Brandon Sanderson and Gideon the Ninth by Tamsyn Muir) and a few memoir/nonfiction books (Girl, Stop Apologizing by Rachel Hollis and Dear Girls by Ali Wong). Who am I? 

Yay! My copy of Gideon the Ninth by Tamsyn Muir has arrived. It has such wonderful black pages. I was planning on painting them myself if they were not already sprayed, but I got the black. Naturally I threw this right onto my currently reading. Which, by the way, Goodreads, why can we not update from the main page? Is that an updated feature where we will now HAVE to go to the book's page to update our reading or use the app? I don't like that. Fix it.

I think in the beginning of each month's new Currently Reading, I will include my TBR list for the entire month. So, this is the one for this month:

Dracula by Bram Stoker
The Magicians by Lev Grossman
A Bookshop in Berlin by Françoise Frenkel
The Last of August by Brittany Cavallaro
The Case for Jamie by Brittany Cavallaro
Skyward by Brandon Sanderson
Strange the Dreamer by Laini Taylor
An Enchantment of Ravens by Margaret Rogerson
The Original Illustrated Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle
Ready Player One by Ernest Cline
Paradise Lost by John Milton
Emperor of the Eight Islands by Lian Hearn
The Neverending Story by Michael Ende
Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas
Brimstone by Justine Rosenberg
The Lost Causes of Bleak Creek by Rhett McLaughlin
Sworn to Raise by Terah Edun
A Forbidden Rumspringa by Keira Andrews

Yeah, that last one...it was a free eBook and I cannot wait to figure it out. If memory serves, it's an Amish LGBT+ featuring gay men. Don't quote me. I don't know. I made a goal to read at least two eBooks a month and that is one of the ones that came up in the random generator.

For now, though, we are going to start working on seriously figuring out what the fuck we are doing for our 2020 writing goals. We intend to get 100,000 words by the end of the year. I'm going to start working on it now, typing out what I have that makes sense to keep and getting rid of whatever doesn't.

Well it didn't take long to get through the first book of 2020. I finished A Bookshop in Berlin by Françoise Frenkel on 02 January. I liked it. It was pretty decent of a book. I think I'm going to actually work through my TBR instead of allowing myself to pure mood read and pick up Gideon the Ninth. I want to try this whole make a TBR and stick to it thing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment