Tuesday, February 25, 2020

Currently Reading: 09 to 22 February 2020

Currently Reading

- Mac on a Hot Tin Roof by Melinda Metz (11%)
The Sound of Stars by Alechia Dow (29%)
A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas (47%)
A Reader's Book of Days by Tom Nissley (08%)
Schrodinger's Cat by Robert Anton Wilson (01%)
魔道祖师 by 墨香铜臭 (13%)
The Divine Comedy by Dante Alighieri (06%)
Paradise Lost by John Milton (07%)
The Lost Causes of Bleak Creek by Rhett McLaughlin & Link Neal (07%)
-  IT by Stephen King (40%)
Journey to the West by Wu Cheng'en (29%)
The Original Illustrated Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle (59%)

* * *

I had been hearing rumor about this book for quite a number of weeks now. American Dirt by Jeanine Cummins. From what I understand, this book is highly controversial. The author is not Latinx herself, and she painted the Latinx culture in a rather negative light. She really didn't from what I have read so far. She's probably not Latinx herself, sure, but I don't think she painted Mexico in any other kind of light than the one it naturally deserves. The whole point of the book was trying to get us Americans to see what is going on. Reasons why people are acting the way they are and why they are fleeing from Mexico the way they are. I'm sure I will have read more of it before the end of the week to update you further. 

Broke my book-buying restriction. It was a special thing though, technically. I went to Binghamton (why do I always forget how to spell that or want to put Birmingham...?), New York with some friends over the weekend of the eighth to the ninth. We went to breakfast on the ninth to this place called That Coffee Place (or That Coffee Shop, forget exactly which it was) and they had a used book space in the corner. I ended up buying eleven new books.


No comments:

Post a Comment