Saturday, February 29, 2020

February 2020 Wrap Up

I know. I haven't been doing these all that often. In February, I managed to read 5 books. Let's just hop right into the wrap up~

#1: Talk to the Paw by Melinda Metz - This was lent to me by one of my lovely residents at work (yeah, I have that kind of relationship with my wonderful little duckies) and I loved it. It isn't my normal genre, I'm not much a fan of contemporary romance novels, but this was just funny. The little subdivision they were living in, Storybook Court, reminded me so much of a theme park I used to visit as a child called Story Book Land in New Jersey where there were, ironically, building shaped like various houses and castles from classic children's fairy tales. MacGyver was so much fun. I loved him. He reminded me of my own cat who had a bad habit of stealing things. Jamie really should have been paying more attention to what was happening around her though, to notice Mac getting out. I think I will enjoy the rest of the series. I figured who the love interest would be the minute they introduced them to the story period. Can't wait to keep going.

#2: Assassination Classroom #12 by Yusei Matsui - Definitely more interesting than the last few, but still not super compelling in my mind. I do rather like the Grim Reaper and I know of a student that is just like him. Nagisa. The Grim Reaper uses a more trained version of the same tactics that Nagisa used when they were fighting Takaoka. Subtlety. The victim had no idea they were in danger until it was far too late to do anything at all about the situation. Both Nagisa and the Grim Reaper come off initially as entirely harmless individuals. You don't get scared because you don't think they can do anything to hurt you. 

#3: American Dirt by Jeanine Cummins - I had to have it. I saw a post on Facebook talking about how the publishers had to cancel the scheduled tour for this book because of the backlash it was getting. I looked into it and it was because the author herself isn't Latinx. So? Does she explicitly have to be? There are tons of authors who write books based on cultures they are not part of. The first example that always comes to my mind is Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden. He's not a Japanese woman. He's not a Japanese man, and yet no one rose any kind of stink over what he wrote. There was also some controversy saying that she was painting Mexico in a bad light. Also somewhat incorrect. She was only talking about one small part of Mexican culture. The part no one wants to see. No one wants to look at. Mrs. Cummins did talk about a lot of good things as well. People looking out for one another, people helping each other in times of need and not expecting anything in return. This is a story about one woman's struggle to just find safety for herself and her child. You could really just stick them anywhere in the world and the story wouldn't be all that different. I liked it.

#4: My Hero Academia #7 by Kohei Horikoshi - Yay~ Finally remembered to get the next volume in the series (I also picked up #8). I am further along in the anime than I am in the manga, because manga is sort of expensive and I can't always get to the stores that sell it, but I have been enjoying this series. In this volume we get to see Iida grow exponentially as a character and a hero and them start really learning how to be the heroes they've dreamed of. I enjoyed watching them figure out how to take on a villain on their own. Looking forward to #8.

#5: Archenemies by Marissa Meyer - I read this as part of a buddy read with a friend of mine, TW, from Facebook. I liked it. It didn't suffer too badly from second-book-syndrome. I've had too many of those. The book itself was interesting in that a lot of the book was unnecessary to the plot development. It did have sbs, but not as bad as other middle books in series have had. It was very well written just like Renegades. I enjoyed the reveal and some of the fight scenes very much. I feel like there just didn't need to be as much romance in this as there was. Not because I'm not a romance fan (though I'm not), but because it just didn't quite seem to further the plot along much. I didn't like that Nova kept having to tell herself over and over that it was just a mission. I'm almost willing to bet that if Ace weren't alive, she would have just gone to the Renegades after a while. Nova got so hung up on the fact that they weren't there to save her parents. When they had so much on their plates and they were still so new. Stuff happens. The heroes won't always be there. It's just a fact of life. Looking forward to Supernova probably in April (own it, have a massive TBR for March).

No comments:

Post a Comment