Friday, October 2, 2015

Review: Over the Ivy Wall by Rosa Sophia

I was given an e-copy of this book by the author in return for an honest review. It was published on February 3, 2015 by Smashwords.

When I first heard about this book, it was from the author, who is a friend of mine. She asked about why a book with a five-star review wasn't getting any sales. I checked the review out for myself and realized that the person who posted the review...probably didn't actually read the book. What was being posted as a review, was nothing more than a synopsis of the book. There was not a single point, save for the very last sentence, where I could actually see any sort of opinion on the work in question. I hope to do the book justice with my review.

I wasn't sure how I was going to feel about this book. It looks like the ones that I just give an automatic pass to. The sappy romance novels that make for great Hallmark or Lifetime movies. I was at least partially mistaken. While it would probably work as a Hallmark movie, I'd actually watch it.

Clara is afraid of her uncle, he does some pretty bad things. It took me a fair bit to figure out what bad things he does. The way it is described, I first thought it was molestation, then I thought he simply beat the girls when he was drunk, then I thought it was a little of both. I think I was right on the last bit. It was believable in that way as well. What he did to the girls, and his reasoning behind it. Of course that doesn't make it any better, but it lends credence to the character and why Clara is so afraid of him. The only reason Clara stays in the first place is for her cousin, who can't leave.

The first part that I had a little bit of trouble with, was when Gaven is first introduced. I have a lot of personal experience with people on mood stabilizers. Unless they are heavily medicated, nearly to the point where they can't function at all, they would not be void of all emotion. The point of a stabilizer is to balance out the emotions, not remove them all completely. You can still feel and most of the people I know on them have very little issue getting angry. It's hard, but you can do it.

The second thing that kind of felt off to me was when Clara just decided to leave with Gaven. After all the protesting that she can't....she just up and changes her mind and goes with him. I would think it would have actually taken two or three visits before Clara would work up the courage to go with. One of her biggest fears was that her uncle would discover she had been hiding, why would she not have extreme reservations about leaving the property all together and refuse? Especially when the person asking her appears to be devoid of any emotions at all.

Another thing I had some issue with, when she turned 18, why did he just give up like that? Most manipulators I watch on like Homicide Hunter and things would not have let her go. They would have found out ways to keep her there, probably using a family member or what they taught them about the world. It seemed unusual that he would threaten the sheriff, but then just let her go as if nothing had happened.

Over all I rated this book 4/5 stars because I enjoyed the writing. It was great to have at least a look at what it's like for someone who has never really had a chance to put themselves out there actually trying to join normal society. Clara's plight is an all too common one that I wish I never had to read about happening in real life. I also really enjoyed the way Rosa portrayed Gaven (sans the medication part). It was a good read, well worth reading a second time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment