Thursday, October 22, 2015

Review: A Siren for the Dead by Rosa Sophia

I received this book in return for a review, then kept losing my place in the PDF, and ended up just buying a copy for myself. Dedication right here. It was originally published April 8th, 2015 by Pagan Writers Press.

I started this book a few different times, making it a little farther each time then losing my place. That can be the price you pay when you read a PDF version of a book. I wound up actually just buying a copy for myself on my Kindle to make my life easier. When I did, it took me all of four days to actually finish it.

Aldon Trekker is one of the best in his field, if not the best. He does his job and does it well. He lives on a planet called Loamarl in 1972. He is sent on a mission to Earth to bring back a missing politician's daughter. What he doesn't know until they are leaving is that she is a siren. Along the way he learns about a cover up bigger than anything he could have possibly imagined.

Sirens are special women, who can raise the dead through their song. They are generally looked down upon by their families (and society I believe) because the dead they raise will eventually come looking for the siren who raised them. Mayanna is a siren and she is lost on Earth.

I liked the way this book tackled zombies. They did not have a will of their own, not that zombies really have one to begin with, but they are autonomous. These zombies have to do the will of the siren that has raised them from their grave. It doesn't even have to be humans either. It can be any dead creature. It was very entertaining reading about people just losing body parts on their way from one place to another.

It was strange when they jumped from one case to another. You would think that if Aldon were on a case about one thing, he would pass off management of an (at the time) unrelated case to someone one else so he could focus all of his power on the case he was assigned. Most police don't try to take on two cases where they would need to be in two different places at the same time. It's just...unusual.

The other thing I had an issue with, was why did they have the technology for cell phones....but they didn't have electric cars, air planes or any other mode of travel that would have fit in with the kind of society they lived it? Why was it that they relied on horses? That made very little sense. Especially Aldon's reaction to a car when he saw it. Obviously they knew cars could be made, so he didn't need to react so violently to one.

Overall I gave this book a 4/5 because I love the way she wrote it and the fact that there were multiple worlds and it didn't seem to be overly developed in one. It was well done.

No comments:

Post a Comment