Saturday, October 10, 2015

Review: A Tale of Three Cities by Alexander McCabe

I was given this ARC from the author in return for an honest review. It is set to come out on November 2, 2015 and can be pre-ordered on Amazon.

I wasn't sure what to expect from this story, a re-telling of Charles Dickens's A Tale of Two Cities was certainly in the forefront in my mind. I don't think I've ever been happier to be wrong. It was much better than I would have expected. I think this book is a companion book to Greater Expectations by the same author because it features some of the same characters.

Melissa Chisholm sees an ad in a magazine and decides to make a trek to New York to see if she can get two people back together. She is doing it also for the reward money. Which is something that I can understand. She wanted to do what she thought was right for Michael. If only she understood what she was getting herself into.

Kristy Bradley has gone missing, along with $34 million. Her husband only knows that he received a ransom, and then never heard of them ever again. He believes that the local mafia had a hand in it and has their leader put into jail. Michael has no idea if he will ever see Kristy again. Meanwhile in Scotland, Penelope Munro is leading the life of luxury. She moved recently from the states and plans to never go back.

I wasn't overly fond of the random shifting of viewpoints. It threw me off not knowing if the next chapter was going to be from Melissa's point of view, Michael's, or whomever else were even part of the story. Jumping from character to character wouldn't have been nearly so bad if he would have put the character after the location at the top of the chapter. I would have also liked it better if they had picked a version and stuck with it instead of jumping back and forth between first and third person.

The premise of this novel is fantastic! It kept me guessing. Every time I thought I knew what was going to happen in the next chapter or page, there was a twist that just made it such a joy to read this. I never would have guessed most of it. Though it does take a fair while to reveal the name of one of the characters, it is entirely worth the wait (and had me singing old songs I thought I'd long since forgotten). It was very good.

Over all, I gave this book a 5/5 stars because it was well written despite the jumps in P.O.V. The way Alexander tells the story just kept me hooked in. I read it in 2 days. I have never read anything that fast. I would definitely suggest everybody pick this up! 

No comments:

Post a Comment